Hard Seltzer smells like shrimp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knestore

Reaction score
I'm fairly new at home brewing, and just made my first attempt at Hard Seltzer (raspberry). Tried it for the first time, tasted good, looked clear, smells like seafood (or something similar). My only thought was I used one of those two-stage packets for clarifying, and believe at least one contained Chitosan which is shellfish based.

So, I assumed maybe that caused the off-smell, but Googling and looking around these forums, I didn't find any examples of others having the same issue with Chitosan (odor). Maybe it's because I used it in seltzer which maybe isn't as strong flavored as beer, wine, etc?

Anyone else ever have this issue with Chitosan or have any ideas what may have happened? Didn't really have a lot else going on with this, just two packets of yeast, sugar, flavor extract, and some yeast nutrient.

Note: I knew Chitosan was was shellfish based before I tried the first bottle, so I concede the possibility my mind is making me think the odor is shellfish, but there is definitely an off smell of some kind. If it's not the clarify agent, I have no idea what might be causing the off-smell other then maybe the yeast itself?

Hi, welcome to HBT!

The chitosan itself doesn't have an odor, so I doubt it's contributing one to your seltzer.

Does the odor remind you of rotten eggs or sulfury farts?

How long has it been in primary?

I'm having a hard time coming up for a better description of the smell, and it's not overpowering by any means, just not pleasant. I don't think I would describe it as bad as rotten eggs or sulfury farts. Maybe, dirty or soapy water? Not sure how to explain but it's almost what I'd image "stale" hard seltzer or stale sugar-water would smell like.

I had it in the primary for about 2 weeks or a tad more. Then bottled with priming sugar for another week before trying it the first time, now it's been maybe 3 weeks since bottled.

Thanks!

Could it be your glassware?

What all did you add to make this?

Did you use unpasteurized raspberries? It might be off-flavors from wild microbes introduced by the fruit.

I reused old beer bottles but first used starsan (albiet really old starsan that sat around long enough to eat through the original plastic container) then rinsed with tap water and let dry. Drinking out of normal clean beer glassware.

Ingredients
-Raspberry extract or concentrate from local homebrew store
-yeast nutrient
-cane sugar
-2 packet clarifying agents (I think kieselsol and chitosan)
-packet of Premier Blanc Wine Yeast
-packet of Cuvee Wine Yeast
-filtered and boiled water

I just tried another bottle today and oddly this one seems fine. I did pour less in the glass and left more in the bottle, maybe I've got some sediment on the bottom causing this odor?

Thanks

Pretty sure it's not just sediment causing an off flavor. I don't see any issues with the ingredients.

I suspect there was a microbial contamination from the bottle.

Star San does not clean and it does not sanitize surfaces that aren't clean.

Maybe the rest of them will be fine or maybe only some will be contaminated, with different off-flavors from different microbes.

i know my apple juice smells like rotten eggs till it ages a bit in the kegs.....(just might mean i don't know what i'm doing though)

maybe the 3 weeks cleared it up....

Back