Hard Ginger Ale with ec 1118 Concoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanbrew

Reaction score
I've tweaked a recipe I found on this site with a different recipe I found on this site. The spices are all from a ginger ale soda recipe, and the excessive amount of sugar is for the yeast. I think this will be dry, and I did this because even though I own a hydrometer I never use it, and have to guess when to bottle based on bubble activity. So I will pretend I am bottling beer and use either corn sugar or table sugar, once there's 'sufficient' slow down in fermentation.
:
2.5 lbs. Ginger root (peeled and chopped in food processor)
*****5 lbs. table sugar
1.25 cups lemon juice
2.5 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp allspice
2.5 tsp fennel seed
1.25 tsp vanilla extract

5 gallons water......I use a 6.5 gallon carboy.

2 ec-1118 packets

I'll update this post once it's bottled.

2013-11-19_16-01-43_59.jpg

2013-11-19_17-12-59_815.jpg

This is going to be *very* dry. You're going to end up with a ginger wine here and I would definitely be prepared to back sweeten it like a cider. I cant imagine it will taste very good with a F.G. below 1.000 (or in the area at least), but with a little help after fermentation it might end up as good hard ginger soda...which I've never tried.

This is just a follow up to end this thread for now. The brew got infected and was extremely dry. So I've let the idea go for now.

Thanks for the followup. At minimum, you got me thinking about something that my better half might really enjoy...

I suggest 10 to 12 pounds of table sugar. A minimum of 10 pounds. I made a blueberry wine, 6 gallons only 5 pounds of blueberries to save money. I used 10 pounds of table sugar. It came out sweet, perfect for the party it was drank at. when I make this hard ginger ale again I will use 10 pounds of sugar as a minimum. Or I'm going to use a beer yeast and maybe a little less sugar.

Back