Hard Cider Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I used WYeast Cider yeast.
I mixed about 3lbs of sugar with water and made a syrup and added it to about 4.5 gallons of Mott's Apple Juice.

I then pitched the yeast at about 70 degrees F.

It's been over a week, there hasnt been a strong bubbly yeast kraeusen at all, however, there is a consistent sparkle on the top layer of the "cider" and the airlock is costantly bubbling.

Should I be worried about the lack of yeast kraeusen or is this normal?
I normally homebrew beer so this is unique for me.

Thanks! :mug:

Cider usually doesn't form a krausen like beer. I think it's from decreased protein content in the must, but not certain. Check the gravity to make sure. Commercial apple juice usually is sorbated to inhibit yeast activity, so that may be an issue even with dilution.

Mott's actually doesn't have any of the chemical preservatives that most commercial apple juices do.
But awesome, thanks your reasoning makes sense to me and the gravity is going down but I just wanted to ensure the yeast isn't like dying off already, guess it just might be a little slower of a process because it's not as vigorous as the ales I'm used to brewing, normally my ales go from like 1.090 to 1.010 within three days.

This cider's airlock is still bubbling away over a week and a half later.

All normal, cider rarely forms much krausen even when fermenting strongly. Also, you don't really want a fast ferment with cider, if you want any residual apple character anyway. It's wine, not beer.

So how much sugar would you add for 6 gallons of bought juice? I like my ciders a bit sweeter in the end so I may have to back sweeten the batch, but don't want to create any bottle bombs. Have you done this or just go for the dry?

So how much sugar would you add for 6 gallons of bought juice? I like my ciders a bit sweeter in the end so I may have to back sweeten the batch, but don't want to create any bottle bombs. Have you done this or just go for the dry?

For me, 0.

The best cider for me has been 100% cider, as simple sugars ferment out leaving a more 'wine-like' character to the cider. Now, apple wine is wonderful, and I make that too but it's more fruity than 'apple-y', more like a white wine like a pinot grigio.

Cider that is all cider will still go dry, but it retains more apple character. Then it can be stabilized and sweetened for a still sweet cider. Or it can be pasteurized without being stabilized for a sweet sparkling cider, but since I don't like sweet things that's not something I've tried. I have kegged some off-dry cider that was finished for my daughter, but I didn't bottle that.

Back