Harbor Freight Tools -- What works? and What doesn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it makes you feel any better, I recently had to exchange 3 times to get a working Schumaker Portable power station through a major retailer.

That's what I hate about Harbor Freight. If it's tool you need to be dependable it's a better bet to spend a little more $$$ up front to know it'll work when you need it to. If your looking for a cheap tool for a one time job excellent place to go. Return policy is great. No questions asked......

That's what I hate about Harbor Freight. If it's tool you need to be dependable it's a better bet to spend a little more $$$ up front to know it'll work when you need it to. If your looking for a cheap tool for a one time job excellent place to go. Return policy is great. No questions asked......

Wrong post to quote...Schumacher is trusted brand sold in tons of stores...and harbor freight is not one of them.

Was bought off the shelf at Bass pro. :p

I have bought numerous woodworking tools from HF. From palm sanders to a lathe. Not a single tool has failed me yet. More often than not HF tools are rebadged name brands. I have had name brand tools let the smoke out tho'.

The key to harbour freight is that you HAVE to read the reviews. When you do, you will find that the good has already been sorted out of the bad.

Was bought off the shelf at Bass pro. :p

I have bought numerous woodworking tools from HF. From palm sanders to a lathe. Not a single tool has failed me yet. More often than not HF tools are rebadged name brands. I have had name brand tools let the smoke out tho'.

The key to harbour freight is that you HAVE to read the reviews. When you do, you will find that the good has already been sorted out of the bad.

You get what you pay for. If your choice is between a cheap big box store tool and HF may as well save the money and go for HF because, like you said, HF is the same as many name brand tools anymore.

I've been using one of their 1/2 inch drills for milling grain for at least 50 batches now. Every time I use it, it gets hot, and a little of the magic smoke leaks out, but I think they precharged it with a lot of smoke.

Their twist drill bits are crappy. I bought a set and found several that had the tips cut wrong--the points were off-center. I had to toss several out as they were unusable. The rest worked OK, but now it's not a complete set.

But I found the forstner bits to be quite good. Sharp cutting edges, balanced well. Never had a problem drilling with those.

Stay away from anything rubber, least IMO. The rubber seems to dry rot VERY quickly. The rubber air hoses tend to leak from the start, and they dry rot very quickly. I'd also stay away from the 'plasticy' air hoses, as they are very stiff and near impossibly to roll up evenly, especially when they are cold.

My air compressor and air tools from there work great. Their Earthquake model air impact wrench really pumps out the torque for hard jobs.

I have an air compressor from them that works great.. and they are my GO TO store when I just need a tool for a job I only plan on doing once. Stuff is fantastic as a tossaway.

I recently bought two 36" bar clamps (quick grip style) for $5.99 each and a single 48" square aluminum bar clamp for $13.99. On quality/functionality alone, the 36" would probably get about a 7/10 and the 48" a 9/10.

Considering how cheap the 36's were, I'll give them both a 9/10. The feet on quick grip style flex just a smidge and they don't clamp down quite as hard as the name brands do.

For brewing applications I have used a few things.

Step drill bits
polishing compounds
variable speed buffer (Was purchased originally purchased for my boats)
1/2" npt tap n die set. ( find those at a big box store )
And a host of pneumatic tools.
1hp sump pump

All did their intEnded purpose.

There are sexier places to shop and some people like the bling factor; but really I'm not going to pay $70 for an Ir cut off tool when Hf has one that works for $7. Or a screwdriver set for $10: how you beating that.

As for quality. Obviously not nearly as good as high end tools but they still have their place in certain situations.

A big clear face guard/mask is about the only thing I remember buying here that did what I wanted it to do correctly, and out of the box. Still have it too.

For anyone looking for the Harbor Freight variable speed 1/2" drill for your mill, HF currently has them on their Red Tag Sale for $49.99 (50% off). If you use a 20% off coupon, it makes it $40. Hard to go wrong with that!

Drill Link

The store I went to only had one left of 93632, but they had several of the 60436 versions, so pick carefully.

Rare earth magnets: use them for putting beer caps on the keezer, holding bic lighters on the keezer, all kinds of random stuff, they are handy to have around.

Heat shrink tubing: it shrinks when heat is applied

Magnetic parts holder: helps me loose less nuts and bolts

Magnetic tool holder bar: have a couple above my workbench

Disposable gloves: work just fine

Magnetic paper towel holder: keep one on the keezer

Digital scale: great for weighing hops

Funnel tray: you wouldn't believe the headaches this has saved me searching through jars of nuts and bolts

Any of their red tools chests: I have one and modded it out for more storage capacity. They are very good quality and are the best price in town

funnel tray.jpg

tool chest.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

I have found HF to be hit and miss. Had a 13x36 metal lathe that was great, sold it years ago, ran into the guy that bough it and it is still going strong (about 15 years at this point), horizontal bandsaw that I bought at the same time is still in my shop and used frequently. Disc/belt sander is somewhat underpowered. Hate their screwdrivers and drill bits. Wore out a brad nailer and angle die grinder in pretty short order but I do have a 1/4" crown stapler that I have used extensively that is still holding up well.

I did accidentally insult the president of HF on a flight to Maui a couple years ago. A guy boarding the plane ahead of us was chatting someone else that HF tools were as good as Mac and SnapOn and I laughed out loud. He then pointed out to me in a not so pleasant tone that he was the president of Harbor Freight :) ......as someone that makes a living with tools I didn't apologize

So - my experience w/ harbor freight vs. other:

As far as I can tell, their battery tools (at least the drills) suck. I'm on my third 12v Chicago cordless and it is dead as a doornail in < 1 year.

Corded low torque drill is great - brag crush I've ever gotten on a barley crusher!

Plastic hand squeeze clamps - broke both of mine - got me through a keezer build but snapped after that. Solid for 1 time use but don't plan on them working when you need them.

Mechanics oil gloves (long sleeve) - lasted a few major knot weed sprays, then started to leak. They protected me from pesticides and digging up my sewer pipe so well worth it.

Backpack sprayer was way cheaper and would be going strong ... Except I pulled off the gaskets on the wand end not paying attention. Not sure if I need a whole new setup or can just get the parts. I did stay 12 gallons of glyphosate and eradicate 40x30 of knotweed, and the next decent model from Amazon was > 100, so I call this a big win.

Circ saw is going strong. I've been happy with all their corded tools, especially cause I beat the sh*t out of mine. I burnt out a dewalt doing 1/4" or 3/4" depth cuts during flooring demo. The HF version has held up and was way cheaper.

Drill bits (booting, standard, otherwise) make holes but are nowhere as clean as high end big box versions (HD, lowes, other). Then again they are nowhere near the price. If you need a bunch of clean holes of the same size go with quality bits. Otherwise these work.

Best tarp prices I've seen period. They're tarps- same everywhere.

Their heavy duty casters were great price too, but haven't used them

Have their framing nailer and nails - paused while I contemplate building my walk-in and hydroponic bed frames.

Their worm drive clamps suck ass (pull apart very easily) - bite the bullet and pay extra for good ones from a trusted hardware store.

Cheap wet tile bench saw paid for itself on doing my bathroom. Willing to sell if anyone needs it ;).

Break bleeder did some solid degassing for me.

Infrared gun thermometer is fine - these aren't very accurate though (regardless of where they come from). Suck it up and get a good instaread waterproof thermometer.

Ok, I have to add this. After 4 years of my smoker sitting in the driveway unprotected from the elements, it was time to get stripped down and repainted. There are some "paint remover" 4" discs that fit your angle grinder. Worked way better than a wire brush (like farting in the wind). Took the stuff off on some parts that had had an epoxy primer on them. Only downside is they don't last too long, so I cleaned them out when I went back for more. There was nothing like this pad at lowes/HD/local welding supply store. So I'd add that to the small list of stuff I'd purchase there. :D

Just got this.
image_21098.jpg

I imagine it will last.

The one it replaced was bought in one of those tent sales. 1.5 gallon no name. It lasted over 25 years.

Car and bike tires mostly.

$40 less expensive than the big box stores.

Time will tell.......

I bought the farm /hi lift jack this week for a fencing project (jerks that owned the house prior put in a 4ft chain link that had 3 feet of concrete under it). It worked really well and is plenty sturdy.

Have bought a lot of Harbor FRIGHT :eek: tools over the past 30 years based on the philosophy, "Spend less, hope for the best." If it's something I know I'll use only once or twice and doesn't require built-in precision or longevity, I'll get the HF. For all intents and purposes, I consider them disposable. But for my everyday work tools, only good-quality stuff: DeWalt, Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Ridgid, etc.

Just got this.
image_21098.jpg

I imagine it will last.

The one it replaced was bought in one of those tent sales. 1.5 gallon no name. It lasted over 25 years.

Time will tell.......

Those are perfect, for not wasting CO2 for pushing cleaners through kegs and lines as well!

I have bought some tools from them over the years. I have been very skeptical but did my homework before I purchased them and have been very satisfied. Their 21 gallon 2.5 horsepower vertical tank air compressor $169.99 with coupon a few years ago has been going strong for auto repairs, changing and filling tires, etc. Their ball peen hammer set is a great buy. I have had excellent luck with their two sizes in a pack step drill bits. Used the heck out of those for my propane and now electric build. Their 4 1l2 inch angle grinder for ten bucks is still going after 5 years. I also bought their hot air gun for heat shrink tube for $8.00 and that has held up also. I got their 12 inch double bevel sliding compound saw and I put an expensive blade on it and it works great. Their router speed control dial control works great also. I have their deep impact sockets and they do the job too. I can complain on these above items that I have purchased. They all have served me well. I have other quality Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, saws, drills, drill press etc. but for the above tools I went cheaper and I was not disappointed.

John

Bought my 18 GA brad nailer there to do some trim work around the house. I was hoping it would last for that project and is still going strong 5 years later. Not bad for $11.99 and the reduction in hammer struck fingers was well worth it.

Bought my 18 GA brad nailer there to do some trim work around the house. I was hoping it would last for that project and is still going strong 5 years later. Not bad for $11.99 and the reduction in hammer struck fingers was well worth it.

I had one of those and wore it out in pretty short order. Tossed it and bought a Hitachi. On the flip side I have the HF 1/4" crown stapler and it has been going strong for years. Funny how hit and miss the longevity of the same item can vary.

Ive used thier reciprocating saw for 5 years no problem. But the brake on it sucks so be careful. 10" sliding miter has lasted through a huge deck build.
They have cheap tubing benders for diy ICs.
Always love the free tape measure and flash light.

I've posted here before so will not repeat myself. But yesterday I used my 10 year old Harbor Freight horizontal/vertical bandsaw to cut a short bit of of 2" x 4" x 1/4" angle iron. That is a pretty substantial bit of metal and it is the occasional cut in something like that which makes me really appreciate this little saw.

Picked up a 21 degree framing gun from them. Works pretty good. When toe nailing you might want to have a hammer near to drive the nail the rest of the way. its only about 1/4" left out.

Recently bought some countersink bits. Stay away, they were barely sharp enough out of the package to do the job yet alone after using on a few holes.

Bought some spring clamps that work great though for a good price as well as a Jigsaw.

I normally stick to them for consumables (latex gloves, zip ties, etc) but every once in a while you get lucky. I've got a pneumatic framing nailer, brad nailer, and stapler that have been tackling home projects (gutted and renovated 2/3 of a 1900 sq ft house down to bare cement block walls) and they keep going strong. They're a better deal on the nails for them also.
Diamond drill bits and burrs will get you through small projects. Wood clamps are good, C-clamps bend like they're cast aluminum. Electric tools I have found usually don't survive the first project, find someone who owns a quality one to borrow.
Use your best judgement: if the tool failing can hurt you don't skimp (e.g. don't trust your eyesight to an auto-dimming welding helmet made by the lowest bidder overseas with a no-name battery?)

Just got this.
image_21098.jpg

I imagine it will last.

Time will tell.......

I just picked up one of these HF compressors, too. It works fantastically for tire inflation.

The $7 HF tire chuck with pop-up gauge, that did not work so well. Cast metal handle leaked air at a seam.

I have their 8' trailer that I use a dozen or so times a year. I've had it for 7 years and it still works great and not rusted (I fold it up and store it in the garage when not in use) - though I had to replace the brake lights with a new set last year.

image_25686.jpg

I also have a little belt driven drill press from them and it seems still ok after 5 years.

Stay away from anything drill bit related - especially their step bits.

Stay away from anything drill bit related - especially their step bits.

Odd, I am still using their step bits after honestly hundreds of holes (between the two bits at least). Some in SS keggles but most in 1/4" mild steel plate and few dozen in through bed frame channel.

Odd, I am still using their step bits after honestly hundreds of holes (between the two bits at least). Some in SS keggles but most in 1/4" mild steel plate and few dozen in through bed frame channel.

Hmm really. I got through a couple holes in stainless with one of the step bits and it was toast. Used more than enough cutting oil and went slow to keep it from burning up. Perhaps it was just a bad one or a crappier brand than the one you picked up.

Chicago Electric 1/2" variable speed reversible hammer drill with the hammer part turned off to run my corona style mill. It chews through the grain. I was using a smaller drill that would heat up and smoke!

I also had good luck with the step drills.

I bought one of these to take up a tile/lath floor. It really saved my back. I still use it. In fact I used it a few weeks ago to take up another tile/lath floor. For <$50 it was a bargain. I also have a HF floor nailer that has put down close to 2000 sq ft of hardwood flooring without skipping a beat. It was less than $100. That was much cheaper that $300 for a decent one. It was even cheaper than renting one for the job at $50 per day.

My rule of thumb with HF is 'If I need to use it once, maybe twice I'll buy it at HF.' 'If it's a tool I'll use over and over, I usually get a Dewalt'.

I always look for good tool deals at garage sales. If I see a 70s/80s vintage Craftsman hand tool or power tool. I'll snap it up. I use an old corded Craftsman drill to run my grain mill. It weighs about 10 lbs, but it's a beast.

+1 for HF step bits.

I just picked up one of these HF compressors, too. It works fantastically for tire inflation.

The $7 HF tire chuck with pop-up gauge, that did not work so well. Cast metal handle leaked air at a seam.

Just used the other 3gal version, cylinder for trim. Works great! I've had the 10in wet saw for 6yrs for doing various stone/tile work. $20-A/C drill crapped out during this year's playscape building. Drill bits are suspect. But used their 3/8in drive battery drill for remodel; sheetrock, building bunk beds, etc. Nothing for brew yet...but thinking about converting kettle to true brew kettle w/valve and temp gauge. Step bit idea is nice.

Back