HappyLoon's Hop Haven Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I posted a thread of the brew day with this beer, but I wanted to post the official recipe and give some tasting notes.

You can see the recipe formation and brew day here.

We brewed an extract+specialty grains, but it shouldn't be hard to convert to all-grain if you want.

Here's the final recipe.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG (our sample was off, could be higher)
Finished OG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 8.0% ABV
Estimated Color: 10 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients
--------------------------
77% 9.5 Lbs. Briess Gold LME
17% 2.0 Lbs. Clover Honey (added with 8 minutes left in boil)
2% .25 Lbs. Briess Caramel 60L
2% .25 Lbs. Honey Malt
2% .25 Lbs. Aromatic Malt

60 mins .75oz Warrior pellet 15.0
20 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 7.0
20 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 13.0
10 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 7.0
10 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 13.0
5 mins 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 7.0
5 mins 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 13.0
1 min 0.5oz Amarillo pellet 7.0
1 min 0.5oz Simcoe pellet 13.0
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0oz Amarillo leaf 7.0
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0oz Simcoe leaf 13.0
Dry Hop 7 days 1.0z Ahtanum leaf 6.0

Pitched a 2 liter starter of White Labs WLP001

Steeped the grains at 152F for 30 minutes. Removed from flame and added the malt extract, stirring well. Brought the wort to a boil and added Warrior at first bubble. Boiled for 60 minutes adding hops on schedule. Added the clover honey with around 8 minutes left in the boil, stirring it in.

Tasting Notes:
This thing is awesome. We were going for a citrusy aroma and flavor with a nice sweet honey finish. Nailed it. I taste orange and lemon, with a small bit of grapefruit on the tongue. It's big and you can taste a bit of alcohol. The head dissipates fairly quickly, but it has big bubbles and sticks to the side of a clean glass. The honey malt worked well and it masks any extreme bitterness. After my last drink, I could still taste the pucker of the citrus on my tongue. My first sample was after 3 days of force carbonating the keg. It came out strong and impressive, and it's only gotten better with a few days of conditioning at a low pressure. I kegged it all, so I can't speak on any bottle tasting. It's still very fresh, so there's a bit of hop haze. I'm not sure if it will settle out or not, but it's acceptable for a double IPA around 8% ABV.

If you like the IPA style with a kick, this is a great beer. Watch out though, the sweet finish sneaks up on you, and after a couple mugs I was a bit... :drunk:

Here are a couple photos of the finished beer. It's now 5 days in the keg, I'll update as we drink it, but I doubt this will last more than a couple weeks in the keg.

The sample glass was the first draw 2 days ago. The mug is what I'm drinking right now.

6439883623_d9be20eb8f.jpg

6439887815_a9590f132f.jpg

6439888773_11cc841fa5.jpg

This recipe sounds very similar to recipes I was making back when I brewed partial mashes

I used black berry honey a lot but I have since moved over to using only honey malt to achieve that flavor.

After I started brewing mead, I noticed a slight off flavor that is present in my younger mead was also in my IPA's using more than 10% BB honey.

Nobody else seemed to notice and those beers were always well received but I was never able to get over it.

If it tastes good keep doing it, I just thought I would share my experience.

I should note that I was adding it at the beginning of the boil instead of a late addition like most people do.

BigfootCounty said:
I should note that I was adding it at the beginning of the boil instead of a late addition like most people do.

Interesting story about the honey we used. It's Minnesota Clover Honey from a local winery that also makes honey. We didn't realize it at the time but my brewing partner's family has known the winery owners for years, and were actually the inspiration for the owners to start the winery.

Anyway, the winery is called Wine Haven here in Minneapolis, so we named the beer after them, Hop Haven.

I'm pretty sure we didn't get much flavor from the clover honey, as most of it fermented out, but I haven't noticed any off flavor so far. The honey malt really shines.

Looks like a really good recipe!

I'm a fan of WineHaven, isn't it up north though?

I really like the idea of making an DIPA with honey, helps to dry it out & adds honey character. Win-win.

I'm a fan of WineHaven, isn't it up north though?

Yes it's in Chisago Lakes area, so north of the cities, but not really "up north". They make some great wines and meads, my buddy who brews with me had them cater all the wine for his wedding too. Good stuff!

On an unrelated note... I posted this recipe to the recipe database. I'm guessing I have 2 threads now, so if there's a mod out there monitoring, let me know what I should do.

Back