Happy Snow Time in the Mid-Atlantic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
These people...

I grew up in rural Minnesota. Other than blizzard-like conditions or more than a foot of snow or that one time in 1996 when it got down to -60F the show went on. School might be an hour or two late, or stores might close a little early if there was more than 6"of snow.

Now I live in central Maryland and these people drive me nuts. The latest development is just one glorious example.

We *might* get 0-3" of snow some time tomorrow afternoon. Salt trucks are already out, schools in Howard County are already closed tomorrow (Saturday!!!!!) and they are talking about canceling a ton of events. For 0-3" of snow in the middle of the day with no wind.

I get it when Atlanta and Texas freak out over snow because y'all aren't equipped for it. This place is. Phalanxes of plow trucks, a *ahem* generally competent group of winter drivers, and stockpiles of salt and sand. I also get freaking out over ice, but that's not forecast.

This place is bonkers.

Please commiserate or flame away. I've got hours to kill while my daughters rehearse for a Nutcracker performance that may get canceled.

I'm in the Twin Cities. Last week we went from 60F and rain, to ice to snow, all within about 12 hours. Ended up with only a couple inches of snow, but that's sitting on top of a layer of ice and hardpack. Reactions from public services (at least in my suburb) were the opposite: they didn't bother to get out with salt or sand until afternoon rush hour the next day. The first crappy winter weather of the season always trips up the road services people. They never seem to be prepared.

Always lulzy when these out of state transplants play bumper cars when 0.1" of snow drops. AWD subarus n rav4s give a false sense of ability.

Hawaii is also nice, the probability of snowfall anywhere besides mauna kea is quite slim. Traffic blows on Oahu. You'll die before you reach your destination if you get behind a local moke pulling a fred flinstone on a two-lane road.

I'm in the Twin Cities. Last week we went from 60F and rain, to ice to snow, all within about 12 hours. Ended up with only a couple inches of snow, but that's sitting on top of a layer of ice and hardpack. Reactions from public services (at least in my suburb) were the opposite: they didn't bother to get out with salt or sand until afternoon rush hour the next day. The first crappy winter weather of the season always trips up the road services people. They never seem to be prepared.
The first snow was always fun when we lived up on Plymouth. But after that smooth sailing.
Always lulzy when these out of state transplants play bumper cars when 0.1" of snow drops. AWD subarus n rav4s give a false sense of ability.

Hawaii is also nice, the probability of snowfall anywhere besides mauna kea is quite slim. Traffic blows on Oahu. You'll die before you reach your destination if you get behind a local moke pulling a fred flinstone on a two-lane road.
I remember driving with aloha. The guy that gets on H1 in Honolulu, gets in the left lane and sets the cruise for 50MPH and takes it all the way out past Waipahu. Fun times.

They are talking a little more snow Thursday and Friday. The silver lining to the DC area's inability to handle snow is we have a better than average chance of getting a snow day, or at least late reporting / early release. I'll take what I can get. :D

Not far from you - I work in Laurel, but live in Eldersburg/Sykesville. Had 3+ inches, but no issues for me. Got up, did a nice run as the snow was starting (formerly from AZ, running in the snow is a novel concept). Plenty of sledding with the kids in our neighboorhood. Wife thought I was crazy for wanting to smoke a turkey breast on the egg on Sunday - decided to show her crazy and went out in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

To your point - in general, usually not too bad. I'm more careful about going to/from work when it's snowy of course, but rt 32 is generally well salted. Eldersburg Elementary is a little bit quick-draw when it comes to delayed start or snow days.

Latest posts

Back