Hanks Hefeweizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoorsguy

Reaction score
I'm hoping for some insight.

Due to time constraints and the fact that I will be stuck inside at -50 below with wind chill, I decided to brew up a HH kit I got for Christmas from my kids.

The problem I see is that I have a beer in my secondary due to come off in three weeks. I would like to brew the HH tomorrow but have reservations about letting the HH go three weeks in the primary. I still would like to do two weeks in the secondary with the HH which would see a total of five weeks before it gets bottled.

Any pitfalls to this plan or am I good to go?

What is the purpose of using the secondary for your HH? Are you dry hopping or adding anything? If you aren't, there really isn't a purpose to move it to a secondary. It actually put you at risk for adding an infection. Three weeks in a primary isn't a bad thing. I've actually heard of longer...much longer...up to several months. When fermentation is complete, move it to your bottling bucket, then bottle.

Back