Halted fermentation with an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
So about a 3-4 weeks ago, I brewed an all-grain BIAB IPA. The OG was 1.064, right on target. The expected FG is 1.012. However, for the past week, it's been stuck at 1.030. Any recommendations? The ambient temp in the closet is about 65 degrees F. I don't know what to do!! Please help! Here's the recipe!

Batch size: 3 gallons
OG 1.064
Exp. FG 1.012

Grain bill:
6 lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
.75 lbs Victory Malt
.5 lbs Munich Malt
.25 lbs Soft White Wheat Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 80
.25 lbs Carapils

Hop schedule:
1.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min.
.5 oz Cascade @ 40 min.
1 oz Cascade @ 5 min.
1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 2 min.
.5 oz Cascade @ flameout
.5 oz East Kent Goldings @ flameout

Yeast:
White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

1- What was the production date (or expiration date) of the single vial of WLP001?
2- Did you make a yeast starter of the appropriate size? (If so, what method did you use to stir?)
3- What was your exact batch size when you poured the wort into the primary?
4- What method of oxygenation did you use before you pitched the yeast? Be detailed please.

I don't remember the expiration date on the vial, but I remember that it was not expired.

I didn't make a starter. I just pitched in the vial. (Was this where I went wrong?)

My exact post-boil size was just under 3 gallons.

I just pitched the yeast and shook the living hell out of the carboy for about 5 minutes.

For your particular OG and batch size:

If vial was 1 months old: 1.7 vials needed without starter
If vial was 2 months old: 2.4 vials needed without starter
If vial was 3 months old: 4.0 vials needed without starter
If vial was 4 months old: Pending Expiration... 5.0 vials needed without starter

By making a 1 liter starter, you could have avoided using multiple vials.

I usually oxygenate the wort first, then pitch the yeast, and give it a quick stir to incorporate. Not sure that matters, but I don't want to bang up my yeast.

Thanks! That's useful stuff. And yikes I might start washing my yeast so I don't have to buy vial after vial. I just rocked my carboy around for a few minutes and it definitely kickstarted some fermentation. I saw big bubbles and yeast lines shooting up through, I look through the glass with a strong flashlight. Thanks!!

So yesterday afternoon I roused the carboy, swished around the beer and got the yeast cake moving a little bit. I now present to you, second krausen!!!
image-2089079810.jpg

So today I learned that just because it's about 70 degrees in your house, doesn't mean it's 70 degrees in the closet. I decided to put a thermometer in the closet where this IPA has been fermenting, and it shows 61 degrees. Facepalm. I've been wondering and wondering why it's been in primary for like a month and a half and still isn't even past 1.030. Now I know!!

61 isn't bad , I often do my ales in the lower 60s (beer temp, not ambient, so the ambient in the fermentation chamber is even lower during active fermentation) and they attenuate fully.

Make sure to keep the temperature well below 70F. The ambient temperature will not be the same as the temperature in the carboy during heavy fermentation. The carboy will definitely be at a higher temperature than the ambient temperature.

Okay thanks for the advice!! I moved it out of the closet where the temp is more like 64, and it's already showing signs of improvement!!

After much laziness and not enough time, I finally bottled this IPA. This is it carbed and conditioned after 3 weeks at about 70 degrees in the closet.

Two words: pure bliss.

image-3419102857.jpg

Latest posts

Back