Halloween Ale is way too blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArmada

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was aiming for a brownish Halloween Pumpkin Ale to drink tonight but couldn't resist and cracked open my bottles yesterday.

It was a small 1-gallon batch with a OG of 1.048. The beer was just fine and I felt the alcool buzz. The problem was the color. I wanted a brownish ale but it turned out as a blonde. The recipe was;

Type: All Grain
Yeast: 7 g of dry Cooper's yeast
Batch: 1 Gal
OG: 1.048
35 mins boil

Malt Profile:
2.4 lbs of Pale Malt
2.4 lbs of Munich Malt
60 mins @ 156 F

Additions:
0.3 oz Centennial (8.5%) after 10 mins (Pellets)
1 sliced pumpkin after 15 mins
Irish Moss after 15 mins
0.3 oz Centennial (8.5%) after 20 mins (Pellets)
2 teaspoons cinnamon after 35 mins
1 teaspoon ginger after 35 mins
half a cup of table sugar after 35 mins

Fermentation was 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in bottle.

I thought the Munich malt would bring out a brownish color ? Was it the short boil ?

you used two pale (well munich is typically pale-ish) malts. If you wanted a darker color a teeny bit of roasted or black malt would make a color adjustment, or throwing in some C60 crystal or chocolate malt would help a bit. Sounds like the pumpkin didn't add much color, and I wouldn't have expected the spices to add any color either.

I seriously thought the Munich would add some color. Guess I was misinformed. Didn't expect the Pumpkin or spices to bring out any color really, it was all about the Munich ! My bad.

As for the boil, not sure really, I usually boil for 60 mins but I guess I just got impatient on brewing day... or something. Will definitely get it up to 60 mins next year! And will use some darker malts...

Dark munich would have added some color, but its harder to find in most local homebrew shops... and even then its still only about a 10L so its still on the lighter side. Its really important that you boil for at least 45-60 minutes when doing all-grain to boil off DMS precursors, not to mention getting the proper bittering levels from your early hop additions if sticking to a recipe. If time/impatience is an issue, you might be better off with extract + steeping grains where you can get away with a short boil.

Latest posts

Back