hall of fame CL score...but

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
I found a Beverage Air two keg club top twin tower kegerator on craigs list like the one in the below link.
http://www.ckitchen.com/commercial/.../beverage-air-dd58c-1-b-drat-beer-cooler.html

The serial number indicates that is was manufactured in the mid 1980s. Its in great condition, looks like new.

The guy that listed it for sale was the manager of a SW PA hunting lodge that said they remodeled the basement of the lodge and they couldn't keep it because they don't have a liquor license.

He told me it had worked well the last it was used almost 10 years ago. The ad was listed as "make offer" which always brings out the cheapskate in me. I asked him what he wanted for it:

He said "its an eyesore and i need it gone, make me an offer."

I said "Hows fifty bucks?"

He said "how soon can you be here?" :drunk:

Three hours later its in my basement (because i have the best wife ever)!:ban:

Ambient temperature in my basement was 63F. I plugged it in, turned the dial inside and the unit cranked up and started cooling immediately. It cooled rapidly from 63 down to 52 in less than 4 minutes then STOPPED. The refrigeration unit runs fine but it won't cool lower than 52F.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I'm hoping it just needs the condenser cleaned and a recharge. Anybody know a good refrigeration guy in SW PA?

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I'm hoping it just needs the condenser cleaned and a recharge. Anybody know a good refrigeration guy in SW PA?

I suggest you sell it to me for $100 and double your money! Other than that, I'd try charging it with some new refrigerant, and go from there. If the compressor kicks on, you're good to go, it probably just needs some gas.

Good luck, and congrats on the epic score!

Its probably horribly inefficient and will use lots more electricity than a modern one. I'm on the verge of discarding my keg fridge and replacing it with a chest freezer - about a 2 year payback on electricity usage.

I'd give up on your new score, or use the beer-related guts with a new chest freezer.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html

Its probably horribly inefficient and will use lots more electricity than a modern one. I'm on the verge of discarding my keg fridge and replacing it with a chest freezer - about a 2 year payback on electricity usage.

I'd give up on your new score, or use the beer-related guts with a new chest freezer.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html

You're crazy. Did you click the link and realize what kind of fridge he is talking about?

It would take 15-20 years to make it worth it for him to junk this fridge and buy a new one.

To the OP. If the compressor kicks off then I would check the temperature sensor. If functioning correctly the compressor will run till it reads that it is cold then kick off. Maybe the temperature sensor is reading COLD when it is really warm.

Not crazy, just careless. I had not clicked his link to see the cooler he scored. You're right, my advice doesn't make much sense in this case.

I suggest you sell it to me for $100 and double your money!

Good luck, and congrats on the epic score!

Thats a great idea. If you were in PA I'd drop it off this afternoon lol.
Thanks I'm pretty psyched about it.

Oh and i forgot to send a shout out to Frank Kowaleski, the manager of Majestic World Lodge. Trophy Elk hunting in Southwest PA. He's a great guy to deal with (especially if buying a kegerator). If you're looking for an elk hunt on the east coast check them out. Thanks Frank.

Not crazy, just careless. I had not clicked his link to see the cooler he scored. You're right, my advice doesn't make much sense in this case.

Hey its all good. I was just in amazement of his find then dumbfounded someone was telling him to get rid of it.

likely has r-12 refrigerant in it which is obsolete and technically illegal now. go to a few mechanics and see if you can get some "freon" (r-12, just a brand name) bottles for it and have someone recharge it. probably just lost some refrigerant over the years...

I need to find a service manual or something. I can't find a charging/ vacuum port on it anywhere. i found the temp sensor inside but the wire disappears through the back wall and i can't trace it from there.

I may just end up calling a local service tech. The Beverage Air website says there is one 20 min away in Johnstown. For all i have invested, i guess i can afford to pay a few bones to have it fixed correctly.

Back