Half BIAB, half extract..will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
I want to brew but have little space, time, ingredients, karma right now. I do have 6# pale malt, 2.5# dry extract (light), some crystal, plenty o'hops and yeast. I have to brew inside, so that limits me to a 22.5 qt pot on a stovetop.

Therein, my idea is to BIAB-ish the 6# malt in 2.5 gallons water. Then after 90 minutes, pull the bag and switch to an extract brew procedure - yes the most basic kind, boil for roughly 45 minutes and then pour into carboy that has 2 gallons cold water, and top off to 5.

Will this work ok? I'm shooting for the Papazian "Sun Has Left Us on Time" steam beer recipe.

As an aside I went to brew shop today to just get additional extract to brew this same beer and the place was closed - at a baseball game! The gall!

Cheers

Sure it'll work. People do partial mash brewing all the time!

Fermenting - None
Bottled - AHS Blue Moon Clone, Andes Chocolate Mint Stout, Citrus Blonde
On Deck - Bazinga's Berliner Weisse
Down The Road - Belgian Tripel, Citrus Blonde V2

I guess I wasn't thinking of it as partial mash…..duh on my part!

Sure, that would work fine. You don't have to do a 90 minute mash, though- 60 minutes is more than enough. You can pull the bag, and then sparge (pour water over the bag) up to your boil volume if you're a little low on volume after pulling out the bag.

Back