Half Barrel Sankey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I've had this damn thing in my parents basement for 9-10 months now. Finally brought it over to my new house and have it sitting in the garage. I have no need to replace my mash tun yet. However I am in need of a second pot.

Would this make a nice boil pot? If so, should I drill holes in the bottom support ring of the base? I heard about exploding kegs....

Any feedback would be helpful on this.

Hell yes it'll be a great BK! I love mine.

Like tasq said, the only problem is when the folded over ring isn't already vented....if it is then don't worry.

3Peg,
Since you knew about the exploding keg, you probably know this, but... Because of the way the kegs are thrown around, even if there are holes in the rolled ring on the bottom of the keg, make sure they're not plugged with years of mud, etc. I searched the other thread about exploding kegs, but the pix don't show up. Luck - Dwain

I had a buddy drill a hole in the top of my sankey and then he used a reciprocating saw to cut a giant hole. Now I have a boil pot. Any tips on how to not cut myself? Tried using a sharpener to dull it down but not working really well.

A side note: a while back I posted pics of my sankey. I was awe struck that my sankey was hack proof. You couldnt disassemble it like a simple sankey. Once the center came out with the portion cut out I examined the center tube closely. The distributor of this sankey welded the assembly together on the outside. Inside you could disassemble everything just fine.

I attached multiple pictures.

image-2785142848.jpg

image-1720227698.jpg

image-3311592120.jpg

image-2487707543.jpg

image-172665357.jpg

image-3787303485.jpg

image-4274654758.jpg

Oh yeah. I can't figure out what to do with the pole so I'm keeping it by the front door to use as a weapon. It is stainless steel and has a sharp aluminum piece on one end....

I went weldless with the bulk head. I'm trying to figure out an easy way to filter out grub. I don't want to buy a false bottom. Looking for ideas.

image-421043234.jpg

image-1487228434.jpg

image-575067383.jpg

image-1374693552.jpg

image-1688749311.jpg

image-3967909279.jpg

I made a trip back to Home Depot (I should just pitch a tent in the back of store....) and bought a stainless steel lint trap and an ss hose clamp.

Back