Half Acre Over Ale Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
There is a small brewery in Chicago called Half Acre. I have yet to go, but after having their Over Ale, I am inclined to go very soon. It was dark and extremely drinkable. I didn't want to stop. Does anyone know about this beer, or have a recipe, or something like it? I am going to spend my summer trying to brew it. Please help if you can.

Went to Half Acre today, and picked up a growler of Over Ale. II really love this beer. I think it might be slightly too English. I'm going to put togeteher something that uses US-05 and Centennials. MMmmmmm.
I also tried the Daisycutter excellent Shewolf IPA. They were excellent. I will be bring my Growler back soon.

Tried this stuff last night, darn good beer.

Not english-y at all. I thought it tasted like a good Altbier!

Really? You thinks it's an alt? I actually haven't had it since last summer. It isn't out here in th burbs like the Daisycutter is. I'm going to have to go back and get some more soon.

Ah yeah I love picking up a growler of this beer while I'm visiting family in Chicago.

Try emailing the brewery. You'd be surprised how many reply back with helpful information on cloning their beers. After combing the internet, I can't find much of any information about this beer rather than it used to be brewed as an ESB. That's not the best starting point...

An alt because it definitely had a good deal of Munich malt flavors in it, clean yeast profile, solid bitterness, and a dryish finish
Sounds like an alt to me!

I have done nothing with this beer. Hell, I haven't even had one in over a year. But I did see it is in cans now, so I will be giving it another try this year.

Someone was fortunate enough to receive this recipe from a brewer at Half Acre and share it. There are some details left out but it's very cool of Half Acre to help us homebrewers try to make an awesome beer like this. Half Acre brews some amazing stuff, so if you are in the Chicago area please support them and drink a few pints!!

Starting gravity: 14 plato
final gravity: 3 plato

malt:
2-row
C-77 (8%)
C-120 (3.5%)
briess victory (2.5%)
wyermann carafa III (roasted barley) (1.2%)

hops:
bittered with warrior
ahtanum at 30 min
ahtanum+centennial at 15 min
ahtanum + centennial at 0 min

yeast is WL 51, an american ale yeast

I want to try not exactly a clone, but definitely inspired by Half Acre's Over Ale- looking for something malty, with a nice biscuit note, but also balanced by a decent hop aroma and flavor. Here is what I have so far:

3 lbs Light DME

5 lbs Optic Pale Malt
1 lb Victory Malt
.5 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs TS&F Dark Crystal (90L?)

Yeast: Nottingham

(Granted: it is a pretty loose interpretation)

Above recipe calls for Ahtanum and Centennial. Any ideas? I think to keep things in proportion I want to shoot for 30-40 IBU's. But still a bit unsure as to the flavor and aroma additions. I also have some palisades which I think might work well. Given these three hops, how should I approach this?

:ban: Cheerz :ban:

This is what I was thinking for the hop schedule. Any thoughts? Thinking about brewing this tonight. Not looking for an exact clone, just something in 'the ballpark'. Thanks!

60M 1.0 oz Palisade
7M .5 oz Palisade
7M .5 oz Centennial
7M .5 oz Ahtanum
Flameout .5 oz Palisade
Flameout .5 oz Centennial
Flameout .5 oz Ahtanum

Back