Haier Wine Cooler, model #HVFM20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBecksOSU1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just caught the brewing bug and as a newbie I need some help. I don't have a cool dark place to ferment and I'm looking for a wine fridge to help me out.

I found the attached on Craigslist for a good price. The owner doesn't know the dimensions and its an old model so info is available on the web. The model is a Haier Wine Cooler, model #HVFM20. The owner said its a 20 bottle model.

Do you guys know if this can hold a 6 gallon carboy with airlock? Thanks

Wine Cooler.jpg

Wine Cooler2.jpg

I doubt it. Please ask if there is a flat bottom or is it raised in the back. If not flat, then no way a bucket will fit with an airlock on top.

I have the hvfm20A version. Not sure if there is a difference or not. It looks very similar though.

I am able to fit a standard plastic 6.5 Gal fermenter(12" diameter) in mine with an airlock. Not sure of the diameter of a glass carboy, as I don't use them.

I popped the top on mine and ran the temp probe from the digital johnson controller through the light housing.

Worked out perfect.

Cheers

There is approximately 1" of space above the airlock.

You will have to use something to raise the fermenter about 1.5"
to get the proper door clearance.

If you plan on doing mostly ales, ie. fermentation temps 60-68.
You will need an external temp controller, because the wine thermostat only
allows up to about 59-60 degrees max temp.
Now, if you will be using lager yeast. No need for the external unit.

I suggest the digital one. A little more to program but it has tighter tolerances.

Here is the one I used.

I paid $60 for my fridge, just for reference.

http://www.learntobrew.com/store/it...hermostat_Digital_Temperature_Controller.html

photo.jpg

I just acquired a similar fridge because of this post. Hope some of you are still around. A couple questions:

Is adding an external controller easy? I have seen other posts about disabling the haier thermostat to make the fridge run all the time so you can get to lower than wine temps. Is this one the same?

Jimmyjim: is that temp controller just dangling or going into a dip tube that's in contact with the wert?

Lastly, I want to do Jamil's Belgian Golden Strong Ale recipe that needs the femrntation to climb from 64 to 82 degrees over a week. What is the best way to handle the heating side of this? I would prefer something I don't have to attach to the fermenter so it's not a pain to move in and out but I suppose having a thermowell would already nullify that.

Latest posts

Back