Had to transfer yeast starter. Is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinjs0102

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to brewing and am going to be doing a larger batch this weekend. I made my starter and have it on my homemade sitrplate. It was originally in a small 1000ml flask but it was have a ton of activity and blow off. I transferred it to a growler. I sanitized everything and ensured everything I touched was sanitized. Should I be concerned with transferring it to a larger vessel?

Thanks!

Still spinning, not as well as before but i'm going to adjust that after this brew.

I think it is due the potentiometer i place in the sitrplate so going to readdress that once i finish up brewday.

Thanks for answering that, looks like its still very active so lets hope it is a good one :).

Yeah as long as your sanitation is good, since the goal of using a starter is to grow your yeast with oxygen, some splashing when you pour is no biggie. The yeast can't tell the difference.

I'd get a bigger flask for next big brew day though. Make sure you get the ones with the flat bottoms

Yeah as long as your sanitation is good, since the goal of using a starter is to grow your yeast with oxygen, some splashing when you pour is no biggie. The yeast can't tell the difference.

I'd get a bigger flask for next big brew day though. Make sure you get the ones with the flat bottoms

Thanks for the info! i plan on getting a larger one. thankfully i have a larger stirplate as well so will get one next week.

I "transfer" probably around half my yeast starters to split/step them up. Youll be fine as long as you sanitize properly

I "transfer" probably around half my yeast starters to split/step them up. Youll be fine as long as you sanitize properly

Ditto. Half of the beauty of creating a starter is saving $ on yeast. If I have an hour or so of free time I'll grow a batch and divide it into mason jars. Usually get 6-7 out of one 1.5 ml starter.

Upcoming brew day? No prob, grow a starter from a mason jar and pitch it. Easy. Still 5-6 jars left. :mug:

Ditto. Half of the beauty of creating a starter is saving $ on yeast. If I have an hour or so of free time I'll grow a batch and divide it into mason jars. Usually get 6-7 out of one 1.5 ml starter.

Upcoming brew day? No prob, grow a starter from a mason jar and pitch it. Easy. Still 5-6 jars left. :mug:

Awesome. Thanks for all the tips. New to brewing and actually jumped right into all grain. Been lurking for a LONG time and now finally have the space, time and cash to do this.

As far as splitting, i imagine i just get some mason jars, move some yeast to those and then refrigerate them until brew day?

Seems pretty simple.

By the way, this yeast after a few hours has almost blown off here. should be a great starter.

Thanks again!

No problem man. We were all new at some point.

Yeah instead of pitching from the flask you distribute the starter (no decanting) straight to the cleaned and sanitized mason jars. I like to fill them almost all the way to the top and then put the cleaned and sanitized lids on them just a hair back from being all the way tight. Then refrigerate.

When you go to make a starter from the jar, just decant most of the clear beer off and swish the rest of it around. Pitch into your starter wort and you're off.

This is my way around yeast washing. This way I know the yeast is good, not infected and doesn't contain any trub/hops/other stuff. I'll go through 2-3 rounds of using the same propagated yeast. Then I'll use the last jar up and finally buy another vile/pack of either the same yeast or new yeast.

Saves you a ton of $. All you need each batch are the grains and hops, and you always have yeast on hand. Increase your savings by stocking base malt and ordering hops in bulk!

Latest posts

Back