had to put my hops in white cotten pouches instead of muslin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtibrews2

Reaction score
on brew day, I had to boil white cotton squares and strips for my hop additions. did not order muslin unfortunately. it was a 100% cotton t shirt I had that I never had worn. I boiled the **** out of it. then I cut it into squares and strips so i could essentially make hop bags. which actually turned out pretty damn good.
do you guys think it released enough hop oils and essence during my cook? or was it too restrictive?
primary smells good....but do u think I screwed up?

Gotta say hi to a fellow Davenporter (born n bred, CHS 85) I came close to the same decision recently with steeping grains but I ended up using a sieve instead. I would guess that whatever the t shirt didn't soak up got into your brew. If it smells good it probably is good.

lol.....was just in St.Petersburg for vacation. I went to U.T. across the river in East Moline

My worry is that the shirts absorbed much of the oils from the hops rather than your wort absorbing it but only time will tell.

Back