Had to move my fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmechG550

Reaction score
I've had my first batch in the fermenter for a week now and I am getting ready to head out on a trip for work. No biggie but in typical fashion the weather is going to be all over the place. I had the fermenter in closet that's always nice and cool, even with the heat on in the house, however while I am gone temps are expected to be a little warmer than normal and sometimes that same closet can get a bit warmer. Of course the temps are supposed to drop when I return but I wanted to play it safe in case I got stuck on the road and I moved my fermenter about 50' to another room where I plan to have it finish out. The bubbling in the air lock had already slowed and the foamy top had started to decrease. Question is, did I mess anything up? I took it slow as to try an minimize jostling it around, it's a 6.5 carboy w/ a handle. Kit was a Brewer's Best Classic Pilsner which both the included directions and two guys at the LHBS said will also finish off as an ale if you are unable to lager.

it should be fine. if you have to move it just be as carefull as you can not to shake it up.

Doesn't matter at all. Stuff will just get suspended for a bit then settle back out. As long as your out of town for a day or so it will all settle back down before you get back.

Just be mindful to take your gravity readings to make sure fermentation has stopped before racking. I had to move a batch a few days before the estimated date, and noticed quite a bit more activity from rousing the yeast after moving the carboy. I had gotten back to back constant readings before the move, and it gave up a few more points after the move. Definitely was not temperature related, either, as I moved it from sitting underneath one thermostat to sitting under another with the same temperature settings.

Roger, thanks all. Having to travel a bit helps with patience. I just got nervous with expected temps because there's no way my wife could move that thing if the temps stayed up and I was stuck out.

Back