Had my First Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browningjr

Reaction score
What a mess. Im sure all of you know that have had it. I will not use air locks anymore. My ceiling and my floors are so sticky.

I just hope the beer is fine. It sat for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours without a seal on it. I hooked up a line not that bubbles in to a 5 gal bucket with water and its still bubbling good. I dont see as much movment inside the carboy but I know its still going at least from the bubbles.

Here is what is left of the air lock.

airlock.jpg

Been there before. No one told me how volitile Notty can be if you don't keep the temps down. Got the brew banhammer from SWMBO promptly after that. Luckily she rescinded the punishment for good behavior after a year. It took a gallon of isopropyl alcohol, 2 big containers of Resolve, $150 worth of carpet, and 2 coats of paint. The hops essentially bonded to the ceiling.

Yeah,some yeasts just plain need a blow off rig. Especially if you don't get initial ferment temps down to mid 60's ime.

You may have seen the posts discussing the Cool Fermentation jacket that's for sale but besides the fact that it helps me keep temps steady and low, it also keeps any possible eruption contained. I've only had minor eruptions but I'm glad to know I'm safe.
Sorry for your troubles and I hope things work out ok.

my temp was about 68 to 70. It varied during the day but never about 70. Guess ill have to go cooler

That sucks. I had an airlock blow out of the bucket once but it wasn't as bad as yours. The airlock didn't break and the beer volcano was contained to the fermentation chamber I acquired earlier that week. It was a sticky PITA though. Come to think of it, that was with Notty, too. FWIW the beer turned out great.

-ben

I intentionally set them in with light pressure so when they go, they just pop off. But as a rule for the first 48-36hrs I hook up a home made blowoff container.

That first mess is a right of passage you know!

Ouch. This is why I put blowoff tubes on everything. SWMBO already thinks I brew too much so I don't need to be scraping half of our stupid popcorn ceiling off after an explosion :drunk:

From here on out I will use a Blow off Tube and save the airlock for end of fermentation or on secondary. Lesson Learned. Fermentation 1 Me 0

I use a blow off rig till it gets past initial fermentation & slows down. Then install a sanitized airlock filled with cheap vodka.

Back