Had a pint left over after transferring to bottles..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCL

Reaction score
Drank it.

So I was transferring to bottles from the fermenter and there was just over a pint left.

Put it in a jar, cooled it and drank it later that afternoon.

Im still alive.

Tasted like un-carbonated beer, maybe a little yeasty.

Just wanted to share this as I googled doing such a thing and got a lot of results for tasting samples and small amounts.

If anyone has better info regarding this being right or wrong please share.

Edit: got some mad farts, but thats about it.

OMG, you might die.... Call Poison control now. Wait, drink mass quantities of maple syrup and you will live do drink more another day.

Drank it.

So I was transferring to bottles from the fermenter and there was just over a pint left.

Put it in a jar, cooled it and drank it later that afternoon.

Im still alive.

Just wanted to share this as I googled doing such a thing and got a lot of results for tasting samples and small amounts.

Edit: got some mad farts, but thats about it.

I don't get it?

You made beer. You drank beer.

Either I'm missing something or this isn't news.

I just pulled a gravity sample right before bottling. it's chillin' in the fridge now, will drink it later

as many different techniques and processes there are brewing beer, I thought this was one everyone (who bottles) did

I always drink the samples and the leftovers. I think it's fun tasting the beer at different stages. Some times I take a gravity sample just so I have an excuse to try the beer. I also crack open one bottle a week as my beers bottle condition. How else do you know exactly when it's done?

The gas was probably from that bean you ate.

Every time I bottle, I run a glass off when transferring to the bottling bucket, and drink it while bottling. I don't bother chilling it.

Strange, since you were drinking - oh wait - uncarbonated young beer. :)

The major thing I see wrong is if you got a whole pint you should have been able to get another bottle out of it. Dip tube on your bottling bucket?

I never have a full pint but I have a glass of flat beer every time I bottle. 2, depending on if I checked the gravity that day. I probably experience an uptick in methane production, but there's no way I'd notice.

I'm another one in the camp of "doesn't everyone do this?".

I like to drink my gravity sample from the fermenter, then drink the primed beer from the bottom of the bottling bucket. It's helped me refine recipes by seeing what the beer would taste like with more sweetness. Mostly, it's just because it's beer! I bottle right out of the cold crash, too, so the beer is usually at cellar temp by the time I'm done.

Never had a pint though.

I once set a bottle slightly behind my bottle rack. 2 days later I find it and you know I drank it. Warm, green, no carbonation, open top. And of course it was good. I'd do it again.

Ya know, I drink beer that is purposely infected with stuff all the time.

Can't say I'd drink a pint of leftover beer out of the fermenter though. I always have about 2-3 ounces to see what I think about it before it carbs, but yeah. SOP I would think.

I usually put the leftovers in a small sealed bottle in the fridge to settle. Then I'll carefully decant into a plastic soda bottle and force carbonate it with a carbonator cap.

Strange, since you were drinking - oh wait - uncarbonated young beer. :)

Bizarre for sure! Lucky you didn't get the squirts drinking a whole pint of the stuff :drunk:

The major thing I see wrong is if you got a whole pint you should have been able to get another bottle out of it. Dip tube on your bottling bucket?

+1 - Maybe he ran out of bottles though. In which case I'd have emptied a full one that's ready and drank it while refilling the bottle with the green stuff.

OP just noticed that you're a relatively new member (only since Nov 2015). With that in mind I want to reiterate that all this ribbing is good natured, just on the off chance you're not yet dialled into our humour here. [emoji481]

So im drinking a bottle of my belgium bitter only after 4 days of bottle conditioning...is that ok to drink? Spewed out of the bottle eveywhere

Its amazingly fruity by the way. Heaps of nelson sauvin during and dry and a bunch of wattle flowers around 7 days and a bit of citra . a few ants from the flowers

always sample at bottling!!!

This is Chinzacca. Sorry for the display of the logo on my sampling glass. Love treehouse - feel bad for them with me putting my stuff in their glass.

IMG_20160326_110254[1].jpg

Belgian yeast 2
Batch Size: 20.00 l

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 85.7 %
1.00 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 2 14.3 %

Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min Hop 3 18.5 IBUs
15.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 4 9.9 IBUs
30.00 g Vic Secret [15.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 5 1.8 IBUs

Boiled for 55mins only - All hop times adjusted in recipe accordingly.

Post Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG

Fermentation Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6

OG - 1.063 ? 15 Brix?

In fermenter on 7/3/16

Refractometer on 12/3 - 8 Brix, 1.013 ? After 5 days.

high temps 26 - 30+ C ish

15/3-/16 - added wattle tree flowers with 200ml water/wattle flower tea

16/3/16 - added dregs from Tre Fontaine Oude Geueze

17/3/16 - 6 Brix

18/3/16 - 20g Nelson Sauvin

18/3/16 - 1.010? Brix 6 [1.008]

23/3/16 - 12g Citra

24/3/16 - 20g Mandarina

28/3/16 Brix 6 [1.008]

Bottled 28 x 750ml bottles, table sugar primed to 2.7

Im still alive, so drink it, its fine

Anything with too much yeast can create air in your gut, so farts which can affect poops

If he is bottling then fermentation is over with and the yeast should be mostly settled out (especially if you are following the BS conventional wisdom of HBT that all beer needs at least three weeks in the fermenter before it is ready).

If drinking beer from a bottling bucket gave you gas or the sh*ts then I shouldn't be able to force carb and drink beer that I just kegged the same day.

I prefer grabbing two or three scoops of trub when racking off primary and eating as if it was ice cream. Sissies.

Latest posts

Back