Ordinary Bitter Gussie Fink-Nottle's Liquid Courage (standard bitter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1275
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Nice balance of malt and hops. The EKGs have a nice presence.
6 lbs Maris Otter
0.50 lbs Munich
0.50 lbs Crystal 40
4 oz Carapils
.50 oz Fuggles (60 minutes)
.50 oz EKG (60 minutes)
.50 oz EKG (30 minutes)
.50 oz EKG (5 minutes)
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

Mash at 154 for 75 minutes. Sparge and boil for 60 minutes. Use your clarifying agent of choice. I am an Irish Moss kind of guy.

Thames Valley flocculates moderately (takes a while for the yeast to drop), so you have to be patient with it. Secondary if you wish. Thames Valley adds a nice complexity of fruitiness and mineral quality that I really like. Ferment circa 65°F.

Gussie should be ready in 3-4 weeks. Nice malt and hops balance with a confident EKG presence. I recommend low carbonation to get the true English character. The yeast brings out very slight spiciness, but it is subtle and blends well.

I always hoped that after Gussie had his run-in with the orange juice and gin fiasco in "Right Ho, Jeeves," he began to imbibe in low gravity bitters at the Drone's Club. In any event, it's a great ale to accompany any PG Wodehouse novel.

recently won 1st place this spring (2017) in my local homebrew club's English bitter competition for my rendition of Gussie Fink-Nottle's Liquid Courage.

Back