Gushers after one day of being bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewthebrewer

Reaction score
I recently bottled a lager kit that I brewed using ale yeast at ale temps. I used a brewers best kit and used the provided 0.5oz of priming sugar. The bottles were being kept at about 70 -75 degrees. I opened one of the bottles one day after bottling and it was a gusher! Thinking my beer was ruined i placed all the bottles outside were it was roughly 65 degrees overnight (just in case they were bombs). The next day I opened another after they had been sitting outside overnight and it did not gush, it seemed to be only slightly over carbonated and tasted fine after only two days of being bottled. I am fairly sure the beer was not infected and that fermentation completed before bottling, However the first few days of fermentation were vigorous requiring a blow off tube . As you can tell I am a noob and very confused. Help would be greatly appreciated!

My questions are
1. Why did it gush after only one day in the bottle?
2. Will the carbonation continue to decrease?
3. Should I bring the bottles back inside and continue to condition at room temp?
4. Since i am satisfied with the current carbonation level can I condition the bottles in the refrigerator?

Because the carbonation is not in solution yet. You need to give them a minimum of 14 days at room temperature. It will more likely take 3 weeks or longer. Until they are conditioned properly.

Yeah, they're supposed to gush when you open them the day after you bottle. That's why you're supposed to wait two weeks. :)

Yeah, they're supposed to gush when you open them the day after you bottle. That's why you're supposed to wait two weeks. :)

+1. Better yet, leave them the heck alone at room temp (70-75*F) for three weeks then refrigerate some bottles for 3+ days before popping another one.

One of the most important ingredients in home brew is patience. At this point, all you're doing is wasting beer.

Three weeks? Sure, for big beers where the yeast are sluggish, but it sure seems that the yeast have pretty much chewed up the priming charge already. Any additional "room temp" time would be more for clarification and mellowing than creating CO2.

What needs to happen is to get the CO2 out of the head space and into the beer, and that happens better when the beer is cold. I'd go ahead stick a couple of bottles in the fridge for a few days then pop the top on one. Might be pretty good...

Cheers!

Back