Gusher???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Ah jeez, I guess it was bound to happen eventually. I have an all-grain Maris Otter Pale ale with my home grown hops split into two fermenters.

One I used us 5 the other was s-33 . They both fermented out fairly quickly and have not had any airlock activity for a week or so (been in there for a little over 2 weeks). So today, one of them is all cloudy (no krausen) and bubbling like crazy (every 5-6 seconds). I am thinking WTF?? so I pick up Palmer's book and it looks like maybe a gusher infection. I took a gravity reading at it is now about 1.012 (og 1060 estimate)

So, I am thinking if I keg this thing fast and cool it down to the 30s, I still might be able to salvage it??

Anyone have anything like this happen? It was fermenting around 70 degrees, stopped for a week, and then suddenly starts going crazy again??

It was the s33 batch, which fermented out in a couple of days

Damn, I took a day off work and used all my homegrown hops on this beer. At least the other fermenter seems to be ok for now.

I never opened it during this time. It is a cooper's fermenter with a spout, maybe something made it through the airlock (had vodka in it) or up through the spout? I just don't know how it was fine for a week but now is bubbling like crazy.

Has the temperature changed at all recently? Maybe it's just outgassing CO2.

Hmm, I think the temp has been fairly constant, but that is a thought.

Can anyone who has ever experienced a gusher in the fermenter tell me if you got a krausen forming? I don't have one right noe.

Alright, I went ahead and kegged it, something is definitley not right. Beer was way more carbonated than it should be sitting at 70 degrees for 2 and half weeks.

Tasted it, nothing noticeably off, but so hard to tell at this point. I only hope the other carboy is ok.

I took my venerable cooper's fermentor and thew it in the trash just in case. No way I will chance another infection in that thing.

Back