Gummy residue on corny keg posts/poppet. What can I use to clean it off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
I bought some corny kegs from a friend, but they're all gummed up on the posts and poppet, as well as lid where the large gasket sits. These kegs haven't been used for a couple of years. I tried using dish soap to clean it off as well as PBW, but the sticky residue is still there. Aside from going out and purchasing new ones, is there a recommended solvent to use that might be better able to help dissolve some of this stuff off?

Just a guess, but sounds like too much keg-lube. See if a boiling water soak with soap will help loosen the globs.

Sounds like your seller hadn’t cleaned the kegs after their last use. I’d recommend disassembling the posts, replace all the gaskets ( lid, dip tubes, and both posts). Also check the condition of the poppets and replace if needed.
Once disassembled soak in hot B-Brite or PBW for an hour or so and use a small brush to get rid of any debris. I’d also soak the keg with hot cleanser.

Yes, definitely replace all the gaskets. Once the gaskets are off, everything should be stainless steel and so you can use alcohol if necessary, or other solvents (acetone).

Back