Guiness Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerGuy

Reaction score
I know there are a couple of other threads taht are older about this topic but I wanted to share what I think is a good clone that I have adapted from BYO magazine 2005.

5# Pale 2-Row
2.5# Flaked Barley (crushed with other grains)
1# Roasted Barley (500L)
0.7oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
1/ea Whirfloc tab (5 min)

Mash at 151*F for 60 min (2.5 gallon)
Sparge 170*F for 10 min (3.gallon)
Boil for 60 min
Cool rapidly
Sanitize EVERYTHING!
Transfer to carboy and top off to 5 gallon
Pitch yeast
Aerate
Instill blowoff tube
Ferment 10-14 days primary
Move to secondary for 5-7 days
Keg and pressurize for 1.7 CO2 in 60*F for 2-3 weeks
Serve and enjoy.

Thoughts and comments. Pease assume that I have been brewing for 10+ years and this is really basic. I was thinking about pulling a liter out and adding it to my 1L bourbon barrel I use for making Bourbon for aging up to 6 months.

Looks good. The only thing I see missing is the soured wort addition that Guiness does (3% or something like that). The boil kills the lacto (or anyother bugs). Its a hard thing to match in a homebrew situation. I tried adding some 88% Lactic acid (3-4 mL). I could taste a little acidic twang from it, but it wasn't quite like the original.

Also you might want to plan on letting it age for a few extra weeks, as the RB sharpness fades a bit just like a Guiness.

solbes,

I read this at the bottom of the article from BYO and it looks like it would add the sour beer taste Guiness has but the two vials of each yeast is pricy at $7/ea. I may ask my LHBS how they suggest to get that flavor as well.

"To get that "Guinness tang," try this. After pitching the yeast to your stout, siphon 19 oz. of pitched wort to a sanitized 22 oz. bottle. Pitch bottle with a small amount of Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus. Cover bottle with aluminum foil and let ferment. When beer in bottle is done fermenting, pour it in a saucepan and heat to 160 °F (71 °C) for 15 minutes. Cool the beer and pour and pour it back in the bottle. Cap bottle and refrigerate. Add to stout when bottling or kegging."

Latest posts

Back