guidance needed for smoker recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruint

Sipping on the big cup of life!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey eveyone,
It is finally time! Last time I shopped for a smoker was mid 90's. Ended up with the 18 inch version of the Smokey mountain. Have had a lot of fun doing some meats on it! It does not owe me a dime! I had to replace the charcoal pan twice, only recently lost the ability to have the water pan suspended....because the wall supports finally ripped through and the rest of the wall probably won't tolerate me trying to mount the brackets there. With that being said, I am pretty wide open as to what to replace it with. I would love to have a Yoder kingsman.......but my wallet laughs at me for such notions!! I have been looking at a similar set up, like the reverse flow longhorn, but very skeptical on char broil built things as none of the grills I have purchased from them have ever lasted that long, and none of them worked that well either for shorter periods!! In other words, they lasted longer than how well they worked.... I have looked at some RecTec smokers, pitboss, and traegers. Both horizontal and verticals. Verticals really have my attention at the moment though, because they seem to have so much more space to cook in. Please correct me if I'm wrong... Pellet or chip is also open. Any source of heat, but electric would be very last, because if I had no power, or power interruption occurred, I wouldn't take kindly to messing up a good piece of meat(s). I am somewhat capable with heat control with years behind me and the wsm!!! So fiddling with fire isn't a deterrent. What are recommendations? The sky is not the limit though!

A green egg or any kamado would be ideal I would think. I dont think it gets better than that does it for home use. 1000 degree fires and long slow smokes are nothing. It holds temp well. Jammin has one and also a pellet grill. Maybe he could chime in with more. I use a little electric smoker, a decent kingsford oval charcoal, a 36 in blackstone skillet and an old webber gas. Any smoker would work I guess, I like those vintage ones. I love my little electric. I like how the pellets can grill to iirc but I wonder about pellets vs wood chunk, also side smoking seems not that great with those vs bottom smoking like my little electric.

Last edited:
One more my cousin uses a masterbuilt that is good sized and propane and charcoal. Best of both, quick and easy, but also charcoal flavor.

I have looked at some of the Masterbuilts. I have their indoor turkey fryer, and have done a turkey or three every year since 2008.
Haven't seen a lot for positive reviews on most that I have looked at, that is where I thought to rely on all of you here....give me some real honest salt of the earth reviews!

Budget?

Is this JUST a smoker? Or do you need it for grilling, etc?

I ended up with a Kamado Joe because my gas grill was on its last legs and I wanted a single do-it-all grill. But if I was doing just a dedicated smoker I might have gone another way.

So we need to know more about your needs.

Having a smoker that could do double duty without negatives would be ideal. I do have a dedicated propane gas grill that could sear meat if I need it to. Would love to keep it between $800 - $1200 range but could go a wee bit higher if.....

I did look at the gmg's.... Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie! Those would be the considerations! Nothing wrong with the Davey Crocket, just would like more cooking space available.

Aren't most of the pellet smokers electrically driven? Wouldn't that disqualify, or at least drop them to the bottom of the list?

Regarding other smokers. I haven't used the ceramic eggs but haven't heard any negatives.

You had a webber, you know how to work it, no learning curve required.

I have an offset OK Joe, electric Cookshack, small portable propane masterbuilt and a propane grill.

Offset stick burner rarely gets used during the cooler months. Also doesn't get used if I don't have time to babysit.

Cookshack gets lots of winter use. Really, really easy and low fuel consumption. 1-2oz of wood chunks for a 12hr run. Very temperature stable.

Propane smoker is portable, runs hot. Hard to keep the temps under 275. Does good enough for a portable when camping.

I would also recommend a ceramic kamado style cooker, either Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe mostly. There are other brands of course but I wouldn't save a couple hundred bucks for an inferior warranty or inferior dealer. Or if you are made of money you could consider the Komodo Kamado line too.

I've got both a Big Green Egg and a Kamado Joe (its a long story) in 18" (large) size and they perform the same but the Kamado Joe was a little less expensive and came much more nicely equipped. If you've got a good dealer locally, I'd go with what they sell.

Both have lifetime warranties on the ceramics and fair warranties on the other parts. I've had to use the warranty on both. BGE has been great about it, bending over backward to find a store fairly close that had a lower shell when I found a crack. KJ had been well known for similar support but was recently merged with Masterbuilt and logistically it went horribly plus they seem to be trying to enforce new terms. I had a broken weld on the grate support this past summer and that took significantly longer than the BGE shell. Sounds like things have been getting better there.

From a use point of view I've done a number of briskets and pork shoulders that required very long cooks and seared steaks and made pizzas at high temps. But they are easy enough to use that I regularly fire them up to grill chicken breasts and quite a bit in between. With two, I often make a side in a cast iron pan in one while the other is making the main dish.

Primo Oval XL. .....Ive had mine for about 3 years now. It’s awesome. One of these days I’m going to get a 2nd one for those larger bbq sessions

+1 for a Kamado Joe - same quality as the Big Green egg but the hefty price tag includes most of the accessories. It's extremely versatile and can be used to cook anything from cinnamon rolls to pulled pork or brisket. A single charcoal load will last 12-16 hours no problem.

Cons: They are very expensive, they are heavy as all hell, they have a steep learning curve to get the right quality of smoke, they are easy to overheat and hard to cool if you do

You are correct, still in the list though. I don't want to preclude myself from seeing options. Especially if I am not aware that they exist in the first place. The eggs are decent, but don't look to be that convenient for size wise. At least in my budget range. If it is electric, has good cooking space, reliability, and doesn't break the bank...it has a chance. Unlike the Yoder Kingsman, a la natural.... I just can't afford that, unless I hit a windfall. I really like the smoking Joe longhorn reverse flow, but am so skeptical getting into anything that char broil has their hand in. I previously had the char broil commercial 4 burner that soaked me for over a grand and was falling apart by the second season. It got worse fast. Kept cleaned and covered.

Thank you @Matt m, that would be the first for anything even close to a negative for the egg style cookers I have heard. Doesn't sound too awfully bad though, especially with good customer service taking care of you. The weight and portability, is a slight concern, as I wouldn't have a small one. More likely to be an XL or larger if possible....but when I start seeing the cost, comparatively, I see other smokers with larger cooking surface ratios and portability issues that are way less complicated.
@TheMadKing...thank you too! Everything I play with seems to have some kind of learning curve or challenge! LoL!!! Why would I pursue something that didn't present one?:D
@moose MI....I have to search for a primo oval xl...thanks for throwing something new in the ring, that I haven't heard of.
@S-Met...I will also be searching for cookshack, as I am not savy on those either!

Love the options and info you guys are giving!!!:bravo:

Last edited:
I have looked at some of the Masterbuilts. I have their indoor turkey fryer, and have done a turkey or three every year since 2008.
Haven't seen a lot for positive reviews on most that I have looked at, that is where I thought to rely on all of you here....give me some real honest salt of the earth reviews!

I have an electric Masterbuilt. I use it half a dozen times a year and have had it for six or seven years now. Works great. As complicated as a crock pot. The little trap-door to add wood chips is nifty. It's also cheap. Dunno if I would ever go out of my way to upgrade.

Hows this for reviews, dont know where original one went but it had over 30k reviews at 4.5 stars now says 4509 at 4.2. And their new model. Thats 661 reviews not 66. The company is awesome and stands rock solid behind their product iirc. They are super simple and they sale all the replacement parts. I paid 150 on prime and had it next day. The secret is the smoke comes from the bottom and is chips. I have had food off pellet many times, but never dare to compare as they cost over 1k so must be better than mine. I use mine two to three times a month and just plug it and forget it. I have helped at least two people biy eggs on the forum. I helped them find them on craigslist used for 4 to 6 hundred.

The medium is a dime a dozen. It seems a good deal, but they are small and get sold. I want the little one, why? Its portable, well for me at least, it does every thing the big one does, has medium cooking space, but heres the key and the main reason I want one, it can get to 1000 degrees for steak waaay faster than big one. Thats why, see I wanted a little hibachi for searing, little. I know eveyone wants the big guy, buy how many parties do you really throw. Its the night in and night out cooking that matters. A little quick firing one is king and reviews will reconfirm that. What you really need is a big egg and a little one.

Bro its the egg, or I guess maybe mine or pellet. Those cheap stick burners are going to need heat nursed all day. I heard an egg will hold temp for 24 hours on one load. For a home cook this is the best option imo. Note I dont own one, I like charcoal but night in and out its webber gas or griddle.
Screenshot_20200317-072915_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20200317-072836_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Last edited:
will also be searching for cookshack, as I am not wavy on those either!
Cookshack is expensive, but worth it. Still an American company.

Cheaper but still great quality are Smokin-it and Smokin-tex. I've heard, but not confirmed these two are no longer US based.

They are as easy as the masterbuilt electric but way less mods needed and way better box insulation. You are paying 2-2.5x more than a MES.

Those cookshacks do look awesome, though unless they use charcoal as well help me see the real upgrade. They are beutiful and quality I am sure. I guess if it holds temps in 30 below better than mine that would be sweet, in summer mine holds temps just fine, meat, and electric smoke help me see the value in the extra 1000 dollars? Also, I dont know how comfortable I would be using my 1000 dollar smoker in below 32 degree weather. I now fear electrical condensation running my stuff outside in winter. I use my little mes all winter here in Colorado, negative temps, blizzards, never even crossed my mind it would break. What we all make is crucial. Some can afford that cookshack more then I can afford a six pack. If thats you its a no brainer, for the rest of us, it is too. These are two great electric options!

While I am rambling here, ruint I know you are talented, consider making one. You weld and all that iirc you could probably whip up something nice, Aaron Franklins are all homemade. I have homemade smoker envy. I mean thats it right, a real stick fire going, a real pit boss. I think Ill throw some hot dogs in my mes for lunch at 275 while I think about it. Both have a place.

Last edited:
Lmao!!! @applescrap....Those be some serious space for cooking smokers!!! I'm fairly certain I don't need that much space! My fear on trying to make one is a big "what if" scenario. Airflow dynamics, heat source, insulation, ventilation, orientation, go electric, what electric components to choose, it gets more complicated when trying to build than just deciding which unit will work the best for me, and how much am I willing to spend on it....
Modifications don't scare me off, but only cuz I am fairly confident with my abilities, I might be short sighted and tempered sometimes though! I figure this is one of those areas that would probably benefit me to go with something others have perfected, tried and true'd. Highly value all the input so far. Not for nothing.....looking at some of those Smokin It smokers.....Never heard of them before today, but they have a very decent price tag on them, and don't seem to be far off of what the Cookshacks are. Even being electric. Listening to what others are saying about having to "babysit" the fire boxes, I would have to agree that, that isn't what I want to be doing with my time either. Not constantly adjusting. So maybe I should incorporate that a little bit more in the search.

I did look at the gmg's.... Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie! Those would be the considerations! Nothing wrong with the Davey Crocket, just would like more cooking space available.
Used a WSM for years and still have it. Decided to treat myself to a pellet grill back in October and picked up a GMG Daniel Boone Prime. This thing is great! Load with pellets turn on and connect my phone. It has an AC inverter and the grill runs on 12v. Power goes out just run it off a car battery.
I’ve been eyeballing the pizza oven next.

I have a cookshack and love it.
Well worth the investment.

I did have a smokey hollow electric similar to the Master built and it sucked as*.
Never held a consistent temp and the range from on to off was 25+ degrees.

The 12 volt feature that the gmg's have is somewhat appealing.... I did think that you could run it off a car battery if power was lost when I saw that! Have any feedback for what kind of draw they have Inkleg?

https://grillagrills.com/
I have enough smokers and grills but if i were in the market for one I would go for the Kong. Best of both worlds.
One of the grills I have is a Big Steel keg. it's about 7-8 years old but i mainly use it for gilling as I have a dedicated smoker (Stumps).

Holy smoke!! Stumps look very nice!! Most are out of my price range though! Think it'll be a while before I entertain getting a dedicated smoker;). The grillas look good also. More affordable than the bge....and similar to price of kamado joe.
I did investigate UDS. Those are definitely not as attractive as all the others I have looked at, but only sight wise. I have a better understanding of the obsession my wife has for ugly shoes now!! LoL!

I went cheap after losing my big green egg to careless movers. Akorn from Home Depot if you can stand made in china crap. Lasted me 5 years and now starting to self implode from rust. Chimney with pure charcoal and this little wonder that sits on top to regulate air flow. Up to 800 to seer and down to 250 ish for smoking.
IMG_2533.JPG
Insulated sheet metal and a cast iron grate Def not the quality of ceramic but got me by.

There is nothing wrong with going cheap my friend. Question at the end of it should suffice....Did it do it's intended job to standards??? And this one probably should be considered....Did it make you happy??? Whether you answer yes or no to those questions, are you able to make adjustments for it to do better, then are you going
To? At the start of that cheap replacement, it usuasly won't stay that way if it does its job, gets you to where you need be. If that is the case...think you be winning

I have to say that I am really impressed with all recommendations given. Leaning toward a machine that can smoke, cook, and sear. sear is the last, because I have a small propane jobber that could do the job. Cookshack, gmg, smoke it have the lead right now, but the ceramic eggs are running pretty hard seconds, in the back is still the reverse flow barrel smoker

Last edited:
Just stumbled on a fast eddy pg500 I think.....whooa she sure be pretty....and capable, any one hear anything on this?

Also like the steel
Keg smoker.....

Last edited:
The 12 volt feature that the gmg's have is somewhat appealing.... I did think that you could run it off a car battery if power was lost when I saw that! Have any feedback for what kind of draw they have Inkleg?
Website says 12V 100W start/16.6W cont. It comes with jumper cable clamp style adapter.

Those cookshacks do look awesome, though unless they use charcoal as well help me see the real upgrade. They are beutiful and quality I am sure.
Its a hard sell. Both can turn out great cue. Its like arguing RecTec vs Traeger or BGE vs komodo. But weigh your pros and cons. I've found that the cookshack uses minimal fuel and stays more temperature stable than the MES producing a more consistent end product. It is NOT an all-in-one. And I don't think it does chicken skin extremely well. I also enjoy cooking on the OK Joe. Just depends on if my goal is set&forget or constantly monitoring temp and airflow while drinking beer all day.

Used a WSM for years and still have it. Decided to treat myself to a pellet grill back in October and picked up a GMG Daniel Boone Prime. This thing is great! Load with pellets turn on and connect my phone. It has an AC inverter and the grill runs on 12v. Power goes out just run it off a car battery.
I’ve been eyeballing the pizza oven next.

Pellet grills are easy-bake ovens for grown men :)

Heya! Hope you're doing well sir

Bought a Little Chief on Letgo for $30. For that price + remote thermometer, it does everything I need. Definitely easy-bake.

https://www.bradleysmoker.com/product/4-rack-digital-food-smoker/

I have used a Bradley 4 rack Digital Smoker for over 6 years, they also make a 6 rack. It is electric and has turned out some great BBQ. In hindsight I would not have bought the digital version because I later bought an Auber PID to control temps more accurately. Also when the element died I modified it to use 2-elements. More stable in cooler outdoor temps and heats up faster than the single element. The biggest downfall to the Bradley is that you have to use the Bradley Pucks. It uses one every 20 min and they cost about 25 cents per puck, so you can see how costly a 12 hour smoke can be. But I still recommend it and it is pretty much set it and forget it.

On a side note, my gas grill is on its last leg and I am in the market for a replacement. I have been giving the GMG and Rec Tec grills some hard consideration.

Back