Guess the infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eigua

Reaction score
Can any of you experienced beer brewers out there tell me what infection this might be?

aynkwg.jpg

This pic was taken several months after the infection started. Initially, the smell was very strong and very odd. I can't even describe it. Now the smell is much more subdued. This was failed wheat beer made with flour. I had it in two fermenters. Both got infected, but this one was much worse than the other. (The other just grew a thin cracked-looking skin on top.)

I would like to bottle it and try it some day, but it looks pretty scary.

Probably gonorrhea.

But seriously, microbe identification is not possible from the pellicle. There's probably more than one wild microbe if I had to guess.

It is safe to try.
Good luck!

It is safe to try.Good luck!

I'd say "Is it safe to try? Good luck!"

I'd try it for sure, but start with a small amount. While unlikely any health hazards, some types of infection can ruin ones sense of taste for more than a day.

Like what?

Whatever got into my plate cooler and transfer tube, kind of crept up and I was turning out batches faster than usual, so I did not notice at first, over 50 gallons dumped was never solved until all nuked w cleaners(PBW, starsan, dairy equipment sanitation stuff(Saniclean), heat), every valve, pumps & part disassembled and cleaned, cleaned again and all process and transfer tubing replaced.

I'd link my old posts 'bout this here, but it is almost too painful.

What I suspect is a virulent acid producing bacteria, probably lactose type, but do not know. Burned like vomit & a bitter like you do not want, hit the front of the tongue affected for over 24 hrs.

I would be interested if anyone knew what it might be. One clue is that it looked a sort of normal, but extra fluffy head on top of ferment. Did not smell to bad at first, not vinegar for sure, seemed to kick in just a few days after initial yeast start. Times I checked it out two days into fermentation, tasted like it might be good, by 4 days in, it was undrinkable.

Whatever got into my plate cooler and transfer tube, kind of crept up and I was turning out batches faster than usual, so I did not notice at first, over 50 gallons dumped was never solved until all nuked w cleaners(PBW, starsan, dairy equipment sanitation stuff(Saniclean), heat), every valve, pumps & part disassembled and cleaned, cleaned again and all process and transfer tubing replaced.

I'd link my old posts 'bout this here, but it is almost too painful.

What I suspect is a virulent acid producing bacteria, probably lactose type, but do not know. Burned like vomit & a bitter like you do not want, hit the front of the tongue affected for over 24 hrs.

I would be interested if anyone knew what it might be. One clue is that it looked a sort of normal, but extra fluffy head on top of ferment. Did not smell to bad at first, not vinegar for sure, seemed to kick in just a few days after initial yeast start. Times I checked it out two days into fermentation, tasted like it might be good, by 4 days in, it was undrinkable.

Yikes! That sounds terrible. I guess nobody really knows what chemicals and toxins these microbes are making. I suppose pasteurizing it would at least kill off any living cells, but the toxins would still be there, if there are any. The general consensus seems to be drinking infected beer won't kill you (hopefully), but your warning is appreciated.

I was never worried about toxins, tasted too bad to actually ingest. You would know for sure right away if you had a similar problem.

Burned like vomit & a bitter like you do not want, hit the front of the tongue affected for over 24 hrs.
Wow!

That's actually how some people would describe the Lambic type of sour beer I like.

There are no cases of people becoming ill from beer, but that still sounds terrible. Bummer.

I don't think you could drink a lambic or anything else with the flavor of that infection, your body would not let you, acidic beyond the level of taste profiles.

Back