Guess I'll need a temp controller after all...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I was hoping that following the AssistantBrewer's suggestion on adjusting the coarse temperature setting on my freezer's thermostat I'd be able to avoid buying a temperature control. Unfortunately about as high as I can keep the temperature is 36° and it seems to be short cycling the compressor (probably not a good thing)

So I am thinking I don't need as much accuracy in my freezer's temperature control because I'm using a FermWrap and a Ranco control for fermentation temperature. I just want an inexpensive control to keep the freezer around 45°. There are a number of threads here about the STC 1000 - it's inexpensive and accurate enough for the freezer control.

What I am wondering is, does it have any short cycling protection? I think that is important to the life of my freezer but I'll ask the experts here. Is the STC1000 a good idea or is it better to get a control with short cycle protection?

STC-1000 does in fact have short cycle protection. The only knock against it is that it only reads in Celsius. I use one for my ferm chamber. As long as you don't mind doing conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius its a nice cheap temp controller.

STC-1000 does in fact have short cycle protection. The only knock against it is that it only reads in Celsius. I use one for my ferm chamber. As long as you don't mind doing conversions from Fahrenheit to Celsius its a nice cheap temp controller.

Sweet! I didn't realize that it had that. Is there a setting or is it just a default?

Thanks Revvy!

I just ordered one and I guess we'll see what the factory setting looks like & go from there.

Back