Guerilla Growing Hops in Urban Detroit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHopster

Reaction score
Now that our community nano-hopyard is exploding with growth, we have a surplus of rooted clones on hand. They're getting to big too fast to be managed in containers so we decided to map out some ideal locations in and around our city in it's post industrial state of ruin. Today we're going to transplant some crowns on some abandoned lots and see what happens. We're taking a post hole digger, a bunch of potting mix, ferts etc.

I'll post pics later.

PS If anyone is in Detroit and wants some plants you are welcome to take some off our hands. Any donations to our brew club and community hop yard/beer garden will be graciously accepted.

:mug:

525823_364933160223627_306595602724050_1123358_590697147_n.jpg

Sounds cool! Subbed for pics. I've been hearing a lot about guerrilla farming/gardening recently.

Hopster- If you're looking for locations for the guerrilla hops I am involved in a redevelopment project in southwest where we have converted an alley into an art space. We're working on landscaping and have thought about putting in some decorative hop vines. We'd love to host some of your guerrilla hops. The project is called The Alley Project (TAP) and is dedicated to street artists and youth development. Message me if you're interested .

Hopster, where are you putting the hops? I live in the area and wouldn't mind seeing the hops. What brew club are you in?

Now that our community nano-hopyard is exploding with growth, we have a surplus of rooted clones on hand. They're getting to big too fast to be managed in containers so we decided to map out some ideal locations in and around our city in it's post industrial state of ruin. Today we're going to transplant some crowns on some abandoned lots and see what happens. We're taking a post hole digger, a bunch of potting mix, ferts etc.

I'll post pics later.

PS If anyone is in Detroit and wants some plants you are welcome to take some off our hands. Any donations to our brew club and community hop yard/beer garden will be graciously accepted.

Hi, I saw an old post from 2012 it just popped up on Google but if you are giving away any hops plants, I have acres and I'm going to start growing them or you could let me know who is selling good hop plants at a good price in the area? I would appreciate it. thank you

I'll post pics later.

What is the name of your community hop/beer garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back