Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee

Reaction score
how long does beer last in a growler? will it be ok for several days? I'm driving to MI for Tday and I wanted to bring some brew with me.

Unfortunately, you pretty much need to drink the growler the day it is poured. Now, if you have the ability to fill your growler under pressure with CO2, it could last. But even so, I question the seal of a screwtop. You'd be better off getting a couple Grolsch bottles and using those.

I put valve stems from Auto zone into the lids of my growlers, theres a you tube video I saw it on. Then hook a air chuck with adaptor to my CO2 line. Works well for preserving at home. Purge and fill. On the road you could maybe take the CO2 with you I guess.

Stevo2569 said:
I put valve stems from Auto zone into the lids of my growlers, theres a you tube video I saw it on. Then hook a air chuck with adaptor to my CO2 line. Works well for preserving at home. Purge and fill. On the road you could maybe take the CO2 with you I guess.

Sounds like a good way to explode a grolwer. They are not designed to hold pressure. Would work well with a 2 liter soda bottle though.

Special Hops said:
Sounds like a good way to explode a grolwer. They are not designed to hold pressure. Would work well with a 2 liter soda bottle though.

Oh so you fill your growlers with uncarbinated beer?

Unfortunately, you pretty much need to drink the growler the day it is poured.

I disagree. A properly filled growler will be fine for at least a few days (I've kept one from a local brewery almost 10 days) as long as you don't open it. Once you open it, you should finish it that day.

Stevo2569 said:
Oh so you fill your growlers with uncarbinated beer?

Carbonated beer pressure is not really that much as most of the CO2 is dissolved and only gets realled slowly

This different from hooking it up to your CO2 tank.

For a while used them as big bottles to bottle condition. Just the pressure from the fermentation caused more then one to explode on me.

This . . .
I disagree. A properly filled growler will be fine for at least a few days (I've kept one from a local brewery almost 10 days) as long as you don't open it. Once you open it, you should finish it that day.

Not this . . .
I put valve stems from Auto zone into the lids of my growlers, theres a you tube video I saw it on. Then hook a air chuck with adaptor to my CO2 line.

It's just a big bottle. Use the same method you'd use for filling 12 ounce bottles from a keg and it'll last until you open it.

Edit to say:
You might want to use nylon tape on the threads to make sure you have a good seal.

Special Hops said:
Carbonated beer pressure is not really that much as most of the CO2 is dissolved and only gets realled slowly

This different from hooking it up to your CO2 tank.

For a while used them as big bottles to bottle condition. Just the pressure from the fermentation caused more then one to explode on me.

So if you shake up a growler to release the co2 in suspension it will blow up? I set the regulator at 8 psi. I would not advise anymore than that cuz your probably right.

So if you shake up a growler to release the co2 in suspension it will blow up?
With enough head space and a beer that's been carbonated to a high volume of CO2, yes, the potential is there for it to blow up. Don't do that. :cross:

I set the regulator at 8 psi. I would not advise anymore than that cuz your probably right.
It's like smoking cigarettes. Plenty of people do it and don't get cancer, but for me, it's not worth the risk. Say my gauge is off or the regulator fails. Or after a few beers I forget to turn the pressure down. Shards of glass in the face are not fun.

AnOldUR said:
With enough head space and a beer that's been carbonated to a high volume of CO2, yes, the potential is there for it to blow up. Don't do that. :cross:

It's like smoking cigarettes. Plenty of people do it and don't get cancer, but for me, it's not worth the risk. Say my gauge is off or the regulator fails. Or after a few beers I forget to turn the pressure down. Shards of glass in the face are not fun.

I smoke too. Lol

This dude is right.

In my experience, it's exactly like a bottle of soda. Keep the lid on, and it's good for a while (sanitation, temp, and proper filling procedures having been observed).
Once opened, yes, carbonation will decrease, but I've had growlers that I've only pulled a pint a day from that were perfectly acceptable on the last pour.
YMMV.

Latest posts

Back