Growler Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin P.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m new to this, so please take it easy on me.

About 3 weeks ago, I brewed a 5 gal batch of Hefeweizen and hit the OG (1.047) I was shooting for. Last night, I bottled (after adding 5oz of priming sugar) well over half into 22oz bottles. Without thinking much about it, I decided to transfer the rest into three 64oz brewpub growlers and screwed the thin metal caps on pretty hard.

I told a co-worker, who has been brewing for well over a decade, and he said it’s either going to be flat or explode. I’d rather have flat beer than a huge mess or potential injury, but I’m not sure what to think. Should I cut my losses and just dump the growlers out tonight when I get home from work, or roll the dice?

If the 5oz was evenly mixed in the entire batch you should be good, as long as your fermentation was done (what was your final gravity)?
However, I would doubt those kind of screw tops on the growlers are going to hold pressure well enough to bottle condition over the course of multiple weeks, but maybe you'll get lucky. Personally I'd let it ride rather than risk everything that comes with another transfer.

If the 5oz was evenly mixed in the entire batch you should be good, as long as your fermentation was done (what was your final gravity)?
However, I would doubt those kind of screw tops on the growlers are going to hold pressure well enough to bottle condition over the course of multiple weeks, but maybe you'll get lucky. Personally I'd let it ride rather than risk everything that comes with another transfer.

FG = 1.011

I’ll wrap the lids with electrical tape and put them near the drain in my unfinished laundry room. Makes me nervous, though...

You'll likely be fine but if you wanted peace of mind you could put them in a plastic bin or bucket with a lid, something to contain any potential mess.

The brown 64 oz growlers that you get at your local bar or brewpub are not designed to hold pressure. It's going to depend greatly on the quality of the growler. I've had growlers break from just being tapped on the edge of the sink. I've also dropped growlers on the ground that were perfectly fine and I still use years later.

In most cases you are going to be perfectly fine. Carbonation may be an issue. The standard metal lids are not pressure seals. They will most likely not hold the correct pressure to fully carbonate the beer completely.

As for dumping the growlers, if you are concerned, certainly dump them. I would put them in a garbage bag, then in a box, and maybe another bag and box, and store them in the closet. They will be carbonated in 2 weeks and I would definitely drink those first. There is always the chance that they will break when you try to open them. From the rapid change in pressure. If you're concerned wrap them in a towel when you transport them and open them.

I hope that helps.

What was stated above by BrewingAroundtheRrealm. Carbonation would be spotty, and you're rolling the dice on safety (re: bursting bottles). For the current ones, treat them like they COULD explode, whatever you do.

As determined in a different thread - Tobor is using stainless steel growlers with swing-top sealing lids. Apples to bananas when it comes to comparing to glass and screw top lids. Absolutely doable under these circumstances, but I want to make sure people are aware bottling in glass growlers isn't safe.

Thanks for all the insight. I’m never going to condition in a growler, regardless of the type, ever again. I’m merely looking to salvage what I’ve already done and/or avoid injuries.

Thanks for all the insight. I’m never going to condition in a growler, regardless of the type, ever again. I’m merely looking to salvage what I’ve already done and/or avoid injuries.

If you have some small bungs you could just un cap them toss an airlock on and let the sugar ferment out then repackage them with new priming sugar.

If you have bottles now you could probably just rack into your bucket and re-package those growlers. most of your sugar is probably still in soloution.

The issue is going to be the bottom design. The flat bottoms do not hold pressure well. Look at a bottle of champagne...it's called a "punt" but that deep dimple is for the pressure. Beer bottle have a slightly concave (or is it convex) bottom to hold up to some slight pressure. But those 12os bottles are also not very wide. A growler is much wider. Fine for filling from the tap where you have at best 10-12 PSI (probably a lot less on many beers) and even that PSI is partially lost during the filling process.

Now carbing in a growler...all depends on how much pressure they are likely to reach. It's already done so let it ride? place them in a bucket or some other large plastic container with a lid. Treat them like a grenade. Might be just fine but I don't know.

By comparison, I used to keep honey from my hives in growlers and 1 gal carboys. I filled to within 1" from the top and screwed the caps on. I've had a couple literally bust the bottoms out due to pressure. I had them stored in a cool or cold place. Sometimes had to move them and if it was a much warmer place and I forgot to crack open the cap, the pressure would build enough to bust out the bottom. Never the sides or top...the round, almost flat bottom busted out almost perfectly round.

FG = 1.011

I’ll wrap the lids with electrical tape and put them near the drain in my unfinished laundry room. Makes me nervous, though...

Place these in a plastic cooler. This is were I keep mine. If one wants to blow then so be it because the glass and beer will be contained inside the cooler.

Back