Growler Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenspork

Reaction score
Moving to a simple one gallon brew setup to experiment with new recipes as the waste or risk is less than with a 5 gallon setup, I'm considering using stainless steel fliptop growlers for carbonating (2 growlers versus 10 bottles).

Considerations:
Glass growlers seem to be an issue for most people because of the pressure and liability of creating a large bottle bomb. Steel should keep that from happening.
Flip top growler to keep the pressure issue at bay as compared to a screw top.
Gonna consider it as one large bottle for carbonating sugar.
Using corn syrup for the carbonation.
Creating 1 gallon batches as opposed to 5 gallon batches.
Kegs I have available are 5 gallon capacity, so kegging the 1 gallon seems a waste of keg and CO2 when I could be kegging a complete 5 gallon batch as opposed to the 1 gallon.
Using the 1 gallon as a small batch for experimentation with recipes to then scale up to the 5 gallon batches.

Any comments or considerations as per using steel growlers for conditioning?

Cheers,

One down side I see to your plan is that you'll need to drink your batch in essentially 2 sittings. I've never been happy with the shelf life of an opened growler much past 24 hrs, and unless you pour all 5-6 glasses at once I would think the yeast cake would get pretty stirred up. That second pour from bottle conditioned bombers sometimes gets murky so I assume it would be even worse. Maybe if you let it condition really well cold you could avoid that somewhat.

Since I'm using the growlers to condition test batches I figure I'd organize 3-4 people for a tasting and use the growler for that purpose; so pouring it all at once and drinking the growler isn't that big an issue.

Should work fine for your purposes, but I'm not sure what you are gaining over kegging. You really don't "waste" much CO2 carbing a smaller batch. I would think that small expense would be outweighed by the ability to turn around test batches more quickly.

How about the liter flip tops, a gallon would still only be 4 bottles and you can pour two beers at once and still get a nice pour without kicking up the yeast. I find that bottle conditioned beer needs to be poured once and the bottle emptied. If you pour a beer, wait an hour and pour another beer, the pour is substandard IMHO.

I don't see much of an advantage over carbing about 9 bottles as opposed to be the growlers. I would think the carb is going to be hard to pinpoint and het exact.

That said I don't see a reason this wouldn't work for your purpose

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403229408.355434.jpg

I tried to bottle condition growlers for groomsmens gift in a wedding. The pressure has pushed the seal out and it is foaming and leaking. Now I'm worried I have 6, 1/2 gallon flat growlers. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had some flip top growlers that looked like that, but they were fully carb'd. They just had to puke a little.

Palla growlers can handle the pressure.
The sites that sell them say they can be used to condition.

PALLA_Amber_Flip_Top_Growler_2L.jpg

That is exactly what mine look like. I have 16 of them. But now that I keg they don't get used as much.

Did u carb a lot in them? I'm not experienced in bottle conditioning. I went strait to kegs and then bottled off the keg. So this is new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, for a year or two I bottle carb'd in that same type of growler.

I primed with corn sugar.

I did have on bottle crack but I blame that on using table sugar and not mixing well.

After a day or 2 after opening my growler, it's never as fresh as the first time, I'd rather just fill mine for a family picnic and finish it off ..........

I have 2 Growler Saver caps that I use to re-carb opened 64oz growlers. Are the tops the same for the 1gal ones?

The Growler Saver has a pressure relief valve that'll open up before the growler might break. I believe it puts on about 10-12lb CO2 pressure and allows you to purge. You can use it to recarb flat beer(bad idea as it's probably been oxidized) but I don't see why you couldn't carb a homebrew with it. The only thing is your growler must be less than 2/3rds full or it'll blow beer out the pressure relief valve all over you and anyone else close by-whoops. Also, it was a bit expensive, something like $100 for 2 caps and the CO2 dispenser. I got mine from Nikobrew(great, fast shipping.) http://www.nikobrew.com/growler-saver/

Growler Saver Review

I stopped conditioning in Growlers because they were always flat, I used metal caps and plastic caps with the same result. I did have a couple break on me but they were old and could have been weakened some how. I would love to condition in growlers again but don't want flat beer! I may have to try again.

I brew heavy ales and tend to use less priming sugar now anyways maybe that will make a difference.

I bottle in growlers w metal caps off my kegs, the metal caps leak no doubt, so I only do this for beer that will be consumed almost immediately. I do have a heavy flip top growler, that seems to work fine for priming and bottle conditioning.

I lost all faith in the metal caps when I witnessed foam passing out from under the cap on a freshly bottled pour off the keezer. Bought a couple plastic caps but haven't used them much, but would guess they seal a bit better.

I'd be more concerned with large bottle bombs since the pressure limits on "growlers" is an unknown vs bottles intended for pressure.
Why not get a carbonator cap that you can use w/ 2L plastic soda bottles and a ball lock CO2 connection?
Much safer!

Conditioned beer in glass growlers forever never once a problem....get the carbonation right. Most of the time when I do it's because I'm taking it to a party or something it will go flat if you keep it to long after you open it(it all started when I ran out of bottles once during bottling in an emergency) been doing it ever since.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440710141.950416.jpg

I would not use the "juice jar" style that most pubs use for growler fills, but I have been looking for a deal on 32oz flip top amber bottles for a very similar purpose.

Latest posts

Back