growing tips falling off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drh146

Reaction score
Check this out

This is the second time I found the tips broken/chewed/cut off. Any ideas that could be causing it and how I can stop it?
Its a 2nd year cascade, and this is the only plant of 3 its happening to.

those look cut, it doesn't look like the plant is unhealthy. You could try getting the cutting to root, this would rule out natural causes.

Looks like it could be cutworm damage, check in the early morning or late evening to see if you can find any worms crawling on your plants. Or just put up a cardboard barrier around the plant (pressed into the soil) to prevent them from accessing it.

Yeah. If it were wilted and it was the very tips and some individual leaves, I'd suspect over watering or poor drainage. But being they look bitten off from right where they began to emerge from the bushiest part of the plant; pests.

I never tried the pepper spray. Is it mace type or just pepper water? If you try it I would like to know what happens.

Back