growing in PNW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo2199a

Reaction score
I just recently got into gardening and have found that I am quite good at it. I am thinking about getting into hops as I am developing quite an interest in home brewing and have some friends that would be quite interested in using some of them. My question is what variety of hops grows best out here in western washington?

Ok. I asked more out of nostalgia - I lived on the peninsula just north of Lilliwaup for a couple of years (back when the population was a bit shy of 60 residents) and a decade later spend an inordinate amount of time in Bellevue at a Digital facility run by a brilliant maniac. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

Anyway, you're pretty much surrounded by some of the biggest hop growers in the country. I'd think if you can give hop plants decent exposure to what passes for sunlight out there you're in bidness...

Cheers!

Happen to know if LHBS would be interested in purchasing locally grown hops? Does anyone have experience in this?

Happen to know if LHBS would be interested in purchasing locally grown hops? Does anyone have experience in this?

Depends i guess. Out here you would be selling them at such a ridiculously low price that it wouldnt even be worth it unless you had a huge plot of land and all the infrastructure to deal with harvesting quickly and efficiently.

We can get 2oz of hops for $2-3 for pretty much any strain out here in Oregon, they must be buying them at 50-75% of that price whole sale... Assume a VERY GOOD mature(3+ year) plant from what i can tell will give you a 16oz dry, your not pulling in much $$.

Now when you talk about harvesting hundreds if not thousands of plants in a day or two with the proper harvesting equipment it becomes more feasible lol.

As for OP's question, pretty much anything will grow out here. Some of the European varieties struggle a bit more or just dont put out as many hops.
I just put in Columbus, Cascade and Newport. Cascade is ridiculously big, the other two are doing great as well.

A lot of the success of y our hops will have to deal with how high you can realistically rig them up, after having constant sun of course.

Back