growing hops in VA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night was a lil sketchy as well. I covered just in case. Watered and ready for near 80 degree temps today! Think we've seen the last cold spell?

My hops arrived yesterday, but I received the wrong order -- I have the worst luck.

Guess I'll at least water/put them soil so they don't get too stressed while I'm waiting to hear back.

How much do you have left, Halifax? Any chance you can cover them?

...nevermind. I should read members' profile before I post. Didn't realize you were on the commercial side of things. Hope you don't loose any additional plants.

Big fat leaves!

image-1126845065.jpg

image-492819552.jpg

ao125, did you grow those last year as well? If so, how did they do with the small trellis's? I'm thinking of ways to make this work without huge poles and lines in my backyard

ao125, did you grow those last year as well? If so, how did they do with the small trellis's? I'm thinking of ways to make this work without huge poles and lines in my backyard

Last year, I let them grow all over my balcony. There is a steel mesh with golf-ball sized holes that runs all over my balcony, and I let that act as a trellis. They seem to be growing quite well at the moment with a real one.

I have Galena, Kent Goldings, Fuggle and Cascade. Planted the rhizomes in December and all are doing well with the Galena growing most vigorously and the Goldings the least.

I just started today
Chinook, Tettnag, hallertau, cascade, nugget and magnum (not in order)

hop garden.jpg

Finally got my rhizomes in the ground over the Easter weekend!

My brother-in-law and I cleared a spot on my folks' land in Winchester, VA that'll get good sun. Rather than building a permanent structure, I ended up stringing a 50 foot length of coated airline cable between two trees at a height of about 18 feet. Ran the isal line down diagonally, so they should have a bit more than 20' to climb. I wanted hardier varieties so I planted 2 rhizomes each of Brewer's Gold, Centennial, and Nugget and 4 of Cascade. Hopefully they like the Shenandoah Valley climate

attachment

attachment

I just unpacked mine yesterday, they were in the fridge. I ordered from Northern Brewer this year;
1 Chinook, 2 Sterling, 2 Columbus and 2 Galena.
I got extras of the Columbus (2) and Galena (3)!
They are all planted now.

Today I planted 2 Centenial, 2 Colombus, 2 Hallertauer, 2 Nugget, 2 Sterling, and 8 Cascade plants. I also planted 1000 square feet of Merit barley and a raspberry bush.

My second year cascades are blowing up, second year EKG is pretty lackluster in comparison, but it has a lot of short, healthy shoots.

Great! It will be interesting to see how much growth happens today.

I also have Nuggett, Tettnanger. Willamette, and a 2nd Cascade potted -- while the Nuggett and Willamette have thick foliage, they don't seem to have as much vertical development. The Tettnanger looks good, so I'm hoping to get enough to put up by evening.

Great pics yall! I really want to start growing hops but I'm getting married in May and I'll be out of town for a couple weeks so i wont be able to watch over them. Maybe I order some rhizomes when I get back.

What do you do with them in the winter? It seems like they come back on their own??

mine 3rd (and final attempt) is 3 rhizomes of nugget, 2 of them have just poked through.. I just hope they get enough sun to stay alive! stupid trees....

Great pics yall! I really want to start growing hops but I'm getting married in May and I'll be out of town for a couple weeks so i wont be able to watch over them. Maybe I order some rhizomes when I get back.

What do you do with them in the winter? It seems like they come back on their own??

Nm. Answered my own question. :fro:

The rhizomes are done for the year, but start looking for homebrew shops to announce preorders next February.

Bobeer,

Ithink NikoBrew was advertising yesterday that they still have rhizomes for sale. Check the vendors forum. You can plant 'em & leave 'em for a couple weeks. You might need to do some pruning & training when you get back but I wouldn't let it deter you.

The rhizomes are done for the year, but start looking for homebrew shops to announce preorders next February.

A number of places still have them...
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/categories/Brewing-Ingredients/Hops/Rhizomes/
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/home...hizomes.html?gclid=CNHtzPTnxa8CFcJM4AodYDkqaA
http://www.northwesthops.com/Buy_Hop_Rhizomes_s/1.htm?gclid=CLOezIfoxa8CFecSNAod-E7fYg

That said, it's starting to get a little late to plant them.

I stand corrected! Lotsa hops still available. Used to be long gone by now. Buy them and plant immediately according to the directions. They are resilient and will do well without needing much initial care.

awesome. thanks for all the responses. Ill see what i can order and from where. i still need to do some gardening before I skip down to get hitched. Hopefully I can squeeze in a hop garden and see what happens. Worst case Ill be setup for next year.

Latest posts

Back