Growing HOPs in Pennsylvania

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootersBrewCrew

Reaction score
What are the best rhizomes to get for growing? I have a garden and am a new brewer. I like drinking pale ale and IPA beer.

Suggestions?

A good variety that does well for us Here in Maryland is Centennial. Check out the website

www.organarchy.co

for description of hop rhizomes (brewing stats), well have early in the spring and whole leaf hops for your purposes

I'm in Philly. I have 3 varieties, Mt Hood, Magnum and Golding. next year will be their 5th season, with each year producing a bigger and bigger harvest and more and more bines. the mt hood and the magnum are my best producers. if I could do it all over again, I would NOT have planted the Magnums. They are really only useful as a bittering hop and I have no clue what AA they are. To be honest, if I did it all over again, I'd only grow the Goldings. they produce the least return but the hops themselves are outstanding.

The kind we grow in Central PA, that grow well, are Nugget, Cascade, Magnum, and Columbus. Galena seems to do well too, but I'll have to wait till next year to be sure.

most hops grow pretty well in the climate here in pa. If your a pale ale and ipa fan though I would recommend the american C hops (cascade, centennial, chinook, columbus)

The pic I attached is of my harvest off of 2 three year old cascades this season. I got around 8 pounds wet. They did really well

0818132019.jpg

Latest posts

Back