Growing hops in Mississippi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine cascade now has 3 bines poking up. Longest is about 8".

Trying to be patient with it and remind myself these are baby first year plants.

Potted them in muscle grow potting soil. Afraid to add more and risk burning them up.

Cascade cones are starting to really grow!!

hopsb.jpg

hopsc.jpg

hopsd.jpg

hopse.jpg

hopsf.jpg

hopsh.jpg

Hey guys,Happy to see yours are coming along well, plenty of sunshine and moisture and you will keep em happy.

My pictures this Thursday show all mine doing well.
Second picture is Cascades close to being ready to pick.
Third picture are Nuggets coming along nicely.
Last picture is Cascades in front of store.
Notice how top heavy they are compared to plants at home, they look to have been searching for more sun and have found it,(all day sun at top, morning only below roof line.) And unless my eyes deceive me, it is loaded with burrs at the top, showing how sun loving these plants are.
--Mark F.--

P6050009.jpg

P6050010.jpg

P6050011.jpg

P6050012.jpg

Good to see yours going BadDeacon,
For mine, this weeks pictures are closer shots of,
#1 - Nugget
#2 - Cascade
#3 - Cascade at store, loaded with small cones at top
#4 - Cascade at store , shot Wednesday evening for different light angle.
If you can zoom them up, they are better seen.

P6120008.jpg

P6120009.jpg

P6120010.jpg

P6110003.jpg

Right behind you on picking tdbc2011,
First pickings on both Cascade plants.
Did not have my scale for measuring picked weight, but will way when dried.
The measurement I did get was two, 2 gal pails, level full. May need to add a screen or two to thin them down on the screens.
--Mark F.--

P6140010.jpg

P6140011.jpg

P6140012.jpg

P6140013.jpg

Usually 3 days ambient, but with as many as I have loaded on there now, it will take longer. I really need to have a couple more screens and spacers in there.
--Mark F.--

maf58d, I picked the centennial that were ready today. They have not produced very well...better stick with the nuggets and cascade.

Checked my babies tonight. They have doubled in height.

How many times in a season do y'all pick?? Do you get flushes of flowers or do they generally just keep on blooming until they freeze???

Thanks tdbc2011,
BadDeacon, I have been getting three pickings a year on mine, mid June, early to mid August, and early to mid October.
--Mark F.--

Have let Cascade hops dry from Saturday evening till this morning.
Weighed out to 12.25 ounces.
5 gal pail shows full with no packing down.
Half gallon pitchers are 2 ounces each.

P6190003.jpg

P6190004.jpg

Brewing today...92 in the shade...with my own hops to be used at flame out!!! Then an oz for dry hopping!

brewday.jpg

Brewing today...92 in the shade...with my own hops to be used at flame out!!! Then an oz for dry hopping!

I'm feelin' it! I'm terribly tempted to slip out of work early myself and get my brew tools all sorted for this weekend. What have you got on the pot today?

BadDeacon, we need to hook up. Been looking for another H'burg brewer to share samples with ;).

Love the looks of all the MS grown hops too. I just might have to break down and get me some bines next year so I can cut back on my Hop costs. Bought 14lbs of pellet hops last year :( Still have most of it in the freezer, but it sure would be nice to have some homegrown whole cone hops to play with.

Would love to swap some 6ers. My pipeline is pretty slim. Got some C3C and C3C with blueberry. Both should be ready in 2 weeks.

Got ingredients for a ruination clone but w citra subbed for the cascade.

Need to order more. This hot weather is bad for my pipeline.

I'm feelin' it! I'm terribly tempted to slip out of work early myself and get my brew tools all sorted for this weekend. What have you got on the pot today?

Cascade Pale Ale, DogHaus Ale. It started out as a Sierra Nevada Clone. I added a few more hops and a little more two row.

Cascade Pale Ale, DogHaus Ale. It started out as a Sierra Nevada Clone. I added a few more hops and a little more two row.

That sounds great. But pardon the ignorant question: what is two row? I have seen that in several posts and it has me puzzled :eek:

Two row is the more common used for craft beer and European beers, six row is used in high adjunct beers,(non malted grains) such as those with a good amount of rice and or corn in the grist. 6 row has more diastatic power for converting starch to sugar in grains.
2 row has less protein than 6 row, and generally will finish with more fermentables and clarity than 6 row.
--Mark F.--

Two row is the more common used for craft beer and European beers, six row is used in high adjunct beers,(non malted grains) such as those with a good amount of rice and or corn in the grist. 6 row has more diastatic power for converting starch to sugar in grains.
2 row has less protein than 6 row, and generally will finish with more fermentables and clarity than 6 row.
--Mark F.--

Thanks Mark. If I use my hops to dry hop is there a danger of introducing wild yeast into my brew?

I have not had any problems with anything I have dry hopped with homegrown.
The lower PH and bit of alcohol, along with the hops antibacterial properties, make it tough on any buggers to make a go of it. And by the time you dry hop, there is not really any sugars left if there was any other yeast introduced, to munch on.
So my answer for danger in dry hopping is, I don't think so.
--Mark F.--

I have not had any problems with anything I have dry hopped with homegrown.
The lower PH and bit of alcohol, along with the hops antibacterial properties, make it tough on any buggers to make a go of it. And by the time you dry hop, there is not really any sugars left if there was any other yeast introduced, to munch on.
So my answer for danger in dry hopping is, I don't think so.
--Mark F.--

Thanks!

--Mark F.--

Lol, I followed all the words, but the gist went straight over my head. Guess I see an area where I need to do more research :eek:

Picked my Nugget hops Tuesday, dried them from Tuesday till this morning(Saturday), got 2.7 ounces.
Shot of Cascade in front of store, loaded up with small cones at top.
Not much to show on hops at home, have some burrs on them again, but otherwise bare right now.
--Mark F.--

P6260001.jpg

P6280002.jpg

Would love to swap some 6ers. My pipeline is pretty slim. Got some C3C and C3C with blueberry. Both should be ready in 2 weeks.

Got ingredients for a ruination clone but w citra subbed for the cascade.

Need to order more. This hot weather is bad for my pipeline.

I have a Centennial Clone that should be going into the Keg next weekend, July 4th, and a double mocha porter that will be going in shortly behind. I will probably let the porter just sit on the CO2 for about 2-3 weeks before I tap it though.

Don't have much in the bottle these days, but I can pour a couple off the keg.

Mark,
Do you cut the extra bines that branch off of the main bines? There are new ones almost every day. I have been clipping them off.

If you are referring to those at or near the ground, yes, most of them just keep pinching off, maybe letting one go up each rope at this point in the season to give some late season hops to mature on the "new" bines.
If you are referring to those up the bines, those are called the side arms where most of the flowers, later cones grow.
--Mark F.--

If you are referring to those at or near the ground, yes, most of them just keep pinching off, maybe letting one go up each rope at this point in the season to give some late season hops to mature on the "new" bines.
If you are referring to those up the bines, those are called the side arms where most of the flowers, later cones grow.
--Mark F.--

Thanks!! I have been cutting them off, but there are several that I will train to grow up the trellis.

Been four weeks since last post on hops, how time flies! Cascade at home about ready for second picking, Cascade at store about ready for first picking.

---Mark F.---

P7240006.jpg

P7240007.jpg

I just picked 17 oz of cascades today. Looks like that I may get another pound in a couple of weeks. Plenty of cones left but they are pretty small at this time.

Got around to picking hops at store front, had to have a ladder to get them loose at top before letting them down. Picked 44 ounces, over 4 gallons, have drying now, will see dry weight in a few days, then pick some more at home.
--Mark F.--

Sadly mine are still struggling. Hopefully next hear they'll take off. I got mine late in the spring and think they just got too late of a start. Longest bine is about 12 feet.

I got another 3.5 oz dried this week. I am brewing a red ale with 100% my hops. Pretty excited to see how it will turn out!!

Good to see yours doing good tdbc2011, and sorry to see yours are not BadDeacon. Mine dried out to an even 12 ounces, and I vacuum bagged them Sunday. I made an all Homegrown Cascade hopped AIPA late last week with Some of my June pickings.
--Mark F.--

Picked second round of hops at home. Totals are 38 ounces of Cascade and 5 ounces of Nugget, should dry to about 10 ounces and 1.5 ounces I think.
--Mark F.--

Have made a good many batches of beer with all homegrown hops, all cascade and nugget bittering, cascade late additions, but 3 weeks ago, I made my first homegrown, all nugget APA. I kegged it this morning and took a 1 ounce taste sample before dry hopping and it was better than I expected looking forward to tasting finished product.
--Mark F.--

Back