Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried closing your browser and starting it up again? I'm not involved with tech support or anything but I found I had problems if I left the page open and tried to hit refresh to log in.

I've only brewed one batch since I picked up my grain from the last group buy! But if the man says "stock up," then I stocks up.

I can't login to the site. I work in IT :) I cleared the cache on both IE and Chrome. Tried 3 different places (home, mobile connection and work). I just get a circle rotating over and over. What the heck!

I can't login to the site. I work in IT :) I cleared the cache on both IE and Chrome. Tried 3 different places (home, mobile connection and work). I just get a circle rotating over and over. What the heck!

start all over again and re register

How do the tabs work? What benefit do you get from them?

Its whirlfloc, or Irish moss alternative...it help coagulate the hot break material and other proteins to assist in a clearer beer.

Not everyone uses this or necessarily cares how clear their beer is. I suggest you try a small 10 pack from lhbs before getting 4 oz.. Unless you use loose Irish moss already...my .02 tabs are much more effective.

Its whirlfloc, or Irish moss alternative...it help coagulate the hot break material and other proteins to assist in a clearer beer.

Not everyone uses this or necessarily cares how clear their beer is. I suggest you try a small 10 pack from lhbs before getting 4 oz.. Unless you use loose Irish moss already...my .02 tabs are much more effective.

I've got just under a pound of Irish Moss that I will ride till the wheels fall off.

No sweat, I like them both and have same results...one is a little more convenient is all, and I'm down to my last bag of tabs.

How long is uncrushed grain good for? I am inclined to add a couple more bags of base malt, but I don't want to end up with stale/bad grains. Adding another couple of sacks would probably put me at approximately 18 months of base malt supply. Should I risk it?

Thanks for any opinions.

Adman, I am proceeding on information I read in the catalog that they recommend storage for no more than 6 months, in cool <= 64 deg, low humidity, and pest free enviro...
Personally, I'm projecting for the rest of the year..risk I'm comfortable with.

scotty77 said:
pbw 8 lb is still being a little shy and not adding. the 50 lb adds just fine.

This is still a problem for me. I can add to 50#, but the 8# will not add. After ordering it the last time and not getting it, I would really like to get some this time.

Well I give up. I cannot login. Third buy I missed because of that. Happy brewing all :)

Is this the time to stock up on things like PBW? For example, the hops come from another place so their is no need to spend grain money,on hops now. Do I buy the 50lb bucket of PBW now?
I had a tuff brew day, I boiled off to much and my Wee Heavy is only 8 gallons not 10 (the two carboys on the left) and my stir bar is in the carboy far right. Oops

Yes sir, I think that's 4-5 tentatives..Its added to my order I'll keep and vac seal any overage, the mfr says they keep for a year with no degradation.

I'll edit this with a back-read on the tentatives.

Neopol - 2/8
Wagz - 1/8
Spacemanspiff - 1/8
Artimus - 1/8
PseudoC -1/8
Bill - 1/8
You too can be here - 1/8

put me down for 0.125...

Neopol, count me in for 1/4 if it's available, or whatever I can get. Sick of buying whirlfloc in little jars of 10 each.

bmason1623 said:
start all over again. click the following link, register as if you were new and i'll add you again...for the 3rd time. :D

http://chicagohomebrewers.org

Getting a 403 error.

image-950599365.jpg

Not sure if I missed it - but when I was searching hops the other day it was giving the option to buy them on a per pound basis. Right now it's showing me in lots of 11lbs.

Am I looking at something wrong?

Thanks

KurtB said:
This is still a problem for me. I can add to 50#, but the 8# will not add. After ordering it the last time and not getting it, I would really like to get some this time.

Send me a pm and I can add it to your order manually

I'm in if its still open...just registered.
Thanx

Is there whirlfloc split of some sort? Ive been coming in every couple pages

I also started a starsan split

Terry, there are some great threads right here on hbt about that exact topic.. Its oxyclean and the new safe red devil trisodium phosphate. And many that swear its exact down to basic chemical composition.

I have a pail of both, as I get tired of cleaning that white residue just oxyclean leaves behind, its easy with a little starsan on a paper towel but annoying nonetheless. Once my smoked ported is done chugging away, I plan to test it out..

I'd love to try the smoked porter. Did you use the smoked malt from the last buy?

I'm in, after cheesecake if their is a split going on?

Someone will have to start another, I ordered a 2.2lb and the split of 1/8s is full.

Its AB Vickers breakbright tabs. if we can get to the next size, ill confirm the qty I will order and repackage.. its 2.2lbs GR-BGHT-1K and 11lbs xxxxxxx -5K

I updated the spreadsheet for the last time today. 244 sacks and counting

I'd love to try the smoked porter. Did you use the smoked malt from the last buy?
Yes it was th Briess cherrywood smoked... its tasty (if you like rauchbiers) - down from 1.060 to 1.018 in 8 days on 007 still chugging along, getting racked the coming weekend.

I qualified the "if you like rauchbiers" because my girlfirend is a smoker and thinks its too smokey, and I am not a smoker but enjoy smoked meats/jerky's and think it could be more smokey and not be too cloying. I wimped at 12%of GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back