Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm right over in Lansing, so I also use brew and blooms. It's convenient. Prices on grain are a bit high, but the yeast is always fresh. I participated in a bulk buy that bmason ran back in September of 2011. Surprisingly, the grain has held up to the point that I'm just finishing it now.

I'll be picking up a couple sacks for group buy #9.

for those who brought beer in growlers or flip top bottles, I did not get to drink all of them. Sorry, but there was just way too much beer. However, I do appreciate the kind gesture. I emptied out the bottles and have washed them with soap and water. If you would like to pick up your container please PM me so we can make arrangements. Just let me know what type of container you are picking up, any particular brewery logo, etc. Thank you.

I just wanted to clarify that the beer that was dumped was growler filled beer and not bottle conditioned beer.

I'm right over in Lansing, so I also use brew and blooms. It's convenient. Prices on grain are a bit high, but the yeast is always fresh.

Just for fun I asked him how much he want on sacks...prices were not out of line. Typical Rahar 2-row $55 and he called on crystal 60 (think it was Breiss) and it was $67. So I think part of the high cost of the grain is the Carlson pre-packaged stuff. If he was scooping from full sacks (like my LHBS in Tulsa, OK does)...but then he would have to have the turn-over to keep it fresh.

Would people be open to other malsters besides the ones offered by MCM if the prices are comparable?

we're hoping to start another GB next week. This next buy will be slightly different than the past. I'll post more info when the time comes.

bmason1623 said:
we're hoping to start another GB next week. This next buy will be slightly different than the past. I'll post more info when the time comes.
I am calling it now: 24K lbs of grain.

that much?
There's a pretty high chance I'm buying 20 sacks this time around, up from last buy's 6 and the previous buy's 10. If people have been brewing their big beers this summer to age for winter, they're going to need to resupply.

Would people be open to other malsters besides the ones offered by MCM if the prices are comparable?

If we're looking at a similar price, then that's totally fine. I need more grain though, so the faster we can get on this the better. :)

Prices will be similar if not identical across different suppliers just slightly more than what we're accustomed to. Also, the main communication forum will not be on here. More details later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back