Grounds in my cup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been grinding beans and making pour-over coffee for 40 years. Suddenly I can't brew a cup of coffee without significant debris in my cup. I've used the same grinder and grind for 3 years, same funnels for 2 years. I switched from BrewRite filters to Melita, no change. I've tried folding the crimps, worked for a few days and then back to having a lot of grounds in my coffee. I drink mine black so the grounds settle out, but my wife uses half and half so the grounds tend to float. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Maybe the grinding gears are worn.
I found the Bodum plunger gives the best coffee, dont have to worry about grounds.

I also had issues recently with the grounds going over the filter thinking it was the filter, so I bought different types only to get the same result. I never had this issue using Lake Michigan water, 7 grains hardness and 128 TDS, but when we moved to another city with well water things changed. The hardness here is 37 grains so we had to get a water softener and the TDS is 688, and this is were I believe was the problem. I went back to a friends home and filled a few 5 gallon water jugs to test this out and would you believe no more coffee grounds overflowing the filter into the coffee pot. So, has your water changed? maybe try a gallon of store bought RO water. Good luck.

Back