Greetings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
Hi, a quick hello to introduce myself.
I'm Jeff, I live just outside of Boston, and i have been brewing for about 11-12years now off and on. I imagine I went through the fairly typical progression from extract kits to partial mashes to all grain. Unfortunately, I also went from 10-15 batches a year to 2-3 as of late, but I am hoping to get back in the upward swing. I do most of my brweing in the winter now, outdoors on a high pressure cooker (frequently in the snow), and I use a fairly simple system from Williams Brewing which has an 8 gallon plastic bucket with a plastic false bottom as the mashtun with an insulating jacket to hold temperatures. I sparge the old fashioned way (apparently) with a sparge arm as I was completely unfamiliar with batch sparging before finding this site a week ago. I only have a few friends who brew so I have never had much opportunity to compare notes with other brewers, and I look forward to doing so and learing a thing or two. Most of my brewing info comes from the Papazian books, a lot of trial and error, and the good folks at the Modern Brewer in Cambridge, MA, so it is pretty limited. I spent some time working at the Flying Dog Brew Pub in Colorado in the early 90's, where I really learned to love craft brews. I still copy their imperial stout. I am an admitted hop head, and prefer the domestic northwest variaties like Chinook, Cascade, Centenniel etc.

Thanks for having me on board.

Welcome to the forum Jeff!

I've always wanted to visit Boston. I've heard you have a few roundabouts there?

Re Batch sparging, I thought it was the older method, but I could be wrong about this? Batch sparging is apparently a US technique. Then there is "English sparging".....

Completely draining the wort and brewing one ale (the main ale), sparging by adding hot water and draining off immediatley, using the wort collected from this run-off for a lighter, quaffable ale.

Batch sparging is the older method and brewing different ales from first, second and sometimes third runnings, even older. Commonly, you would get a barley wine-like first run, the standard ale from the second and a small beer from the third. The small beer was consumed in place of water.

Conventional sparging allows the maximum grain bill for a given tun size, which makes it popular for commercial operations. I think of batch sparging as the lazy way & it's what I use.

Welcome Jeff!! I, too, am in the "outside Boston" region----I live in Upton, and yes, Blighty, we do have roundabouts-they are a New England Tradition!!!! What part of this Communist Territory (I am conservative) are you pitching your tent???

hey Jeff, welcome aboard! sounds like you got a good thing going. look forward to years of brewing wisdom!

Thanks guys. I was being a little tounge in cheek about the "old school" sparging method. Blighty, we do have a lot of roundabouts, also known as rotaries. At one point i had a commute where I navigated five each way to and from work--you get to see some amazingly bad driving that way. Truble, I am down on the south shore in Norwell--I may need the map to find Upton.

Gearing up for a huge weekend of brewing and football.......

Back