Greetings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brand new to brewing (haven't actually done it yet) and to the forum. I'm a darned fine cook and I used to make my own yogurt and cheeses, so I figger I can probably do this too.

I'm getting started (after considering it for years) because of conversations I've had with one of the faculty at the college where I work. I would classify him as a "process geek" since he's got a PhD organic chemistry. He's like those chefs who do molecular gastronomy. He's all about how the various chemical reactions produce various flavor profiles.

I, on the other hand, would be what's known as a "gear slut". My heart starts racing at the sight of all the cool gimcrack and doodads. I haven't yet brewed my first batch and I'm already lusting after a stainless steel, conical fermenter. Something tells me I'm not the only one.

Rant Mode: I also firmly believe the US gov't should reform it's insanely restrictive regulations on home distilling. It's idiotic that I'm not allowed to make a couple gallons of applejack for my own consumption. This is not a political issue; it is merely a matter of bureaucratic turf defense. It's so stupid that even possessing a stovetop distiller for purifying water is a serious offense.

Well aware of the legal difficulties re: distilling. Opining that it is a travesty is still legal though. But I'll taylor my comentary to the room.

Not yet an active poster because I don't know all that much. I need to learn a fair amount before I can pose an intellegent question. Got a couple of books I'm trying to absorb and trying to distill (ha gotcha) the knowledge on the site into usable information.

Welcome! Many people share your belief in easing the restriction on the forbidden hobby, so don't feel alone. And it sucks we can't even discuss it on here, but there are plenty of sites that allow it (They just don't have the awesome amount of brewing information that HBT has!)

As a "gear slut" you will enjoy this hobby VERY much. Not only are there many opportunities to own shiny stainless brewing equipment, but you can also pursue automation, controlled gas or electric systems, customizations, etc. Some people have spent several thousand $$ on their rigs! Other seem to get by with much less of an "investment".

The hard part will be deciding what to build! The possibilities are nearly limitless.

Most hobbies are the same way. You can "get started" for a mere couple of beans. The more interest and expertise you develope the greater the % of disposable income is consumed. This one looks like it's got a fine potential for impoverishment.

Back