Greetings - from South Africa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toxxyc

New and loving it
Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gents! Local South African guy here. Pretty new to brewing, and I'm brewing using the bare minimum right now but it's working out for me. Not a massive drinker and budget is a bit of an issue (isn't it always) so I like to brew quick, easy and most of all cheap!

Looking to learn a lot here, and hoping to enjoy my stay!

Ey! Was wondering how many of us are on here! I'm in Pretoria, born and raised :D atunguyd?
The same! [emoji846][emoji846]

Sorry I think I was drunk when I responded as I did not realise it was you.

Only good thing about pretoria is the girls!

Ha! No my name was changed to my other forum nicknames in the meantime, you didn't miss anything :p

And yeah, Pretoria girls are quite epic. There's even a song about them! :D

Hello! As you can see from my profile pic, I love SA! Got to visit back in 2014, spent time in Cape Town, Kruger, and JBurg. Can't wait to go back!

Good morning ladies and gents! Local South African guy here. Pretty new to brewing, and I'm brewing using the bare minimum right now but it's working out for me. Not a massive drinker and budget is a bit of an issue (isn't it always) so I like to brew quick, easy and most of all cheap!

Looking to learn a lot here, and hoping to enjoy my stay!
Arn't you guys running out of water?

Hello! As you can see from my profile pic, I love SA! Got to visit back in 2014, spent time in Cape Town, Kruger, and JBurg. Can't wait to go back!

Well with the current Rand/Dollar rates you'll be in for one hella cheap holiday :p

Welcome to HBT.

Thanks!
Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

Thanks man!

Arn't you guys running out of water?

LOL no, Cape Town was running low due to a few years of drought and significantly less rainfall than ever before (and than needed). Cape Town was at risk of becoming the first major city in the world to run dry, but there were strict water restrictions and limits put in place to reduce usage. The combination of these measures drastically reduced water use to the point where the "Day Zero" running dry thing was extended and eventually completely scrapped. Dam levels are again at "comfortable" levels, and restrictions and limits have already been relaxed. It's all good again :p

Well hop it all turns out. That's a scary scenario that can play out world wide.

Anyway, I like the minimalist view of brewing. You can make trully great beer with the least amount of equipment and proper techniques. Good water chemistry, proper yeast pitch rates, proper fermentation temperature, and proper sanitizing create a foundation for great beers. Recipes can always be worked on but get the techniques down at the start and I guarantee you'll ne happy with the results. Happy Brewing and Welcome to the Funny Farm!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back