Greetings from Philly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddSB

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Brewers!

My husband and I just began our beer brewing adventures a couple of months ago. I'm trying to read as much as I can on here and soak up all of the great advice and tips. We figured we would begin with wheats and IPAs and hope to eventually tackle the world of the sours (my personal favorite).

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the great info!

Happy Brewing,
BuddSB

BuddSB said:
Hi Fellow Brewers!

My husband and I just began our beer brewing adventures a couple of months ago. I'm trying to read as much as I can on here and soak up all of the great advice and tips. We figured we would begin with wheats and IPAs and hope to eventually tackle the world of the sours (my personal favorite).

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the great info!

Happy Brewing,
BuddSB

Welcome aboard! I'm Philly-based also. Started HBing in April, so still new like you. Let me know if I can help with any beginner questions.

Thanks so much! I actually am curious about what might account for a low alcohol content in 2 beers we made: wheat and an IPA. We have tried the wheat and it tastes great, but both beers are only 2% beers, which seems odd. Any ideas?

Actually, nevermind! I read the replies to my other thread, turns out I was just reading my hydrometer wrong =)

Thanks so much! I actually am curious about what might account for a low alcohol content in 2 beers we made: wheat and an IPA. We have tried the wheat and it tastes great, but both beers are only 2% beers, which seems odd. Any ideas?

Are you brewing with extracts? Are you using top off water to reach the 5gal mark?

If you dilute the wort with top off water you need to mix very well before taking a gravity reading or you will get a sample of mostly water which would give a false low og reading.

Edit: Glad you figured it out.

Latest posts

Back