Greetings from Orlando, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
Hey all, first time brewer here! Looks like I have found the wealth of knowledge I will need in the coming years to step my brewing game up. Just one brew going right now, an Oktoberfest from my local store's recipe. Look for my noob questions everywhere on this board! :mug:

-Justin

Welcome aboard. Sorry that you have to deal with Heart's as your LHBS.

I've heard they can be difficult to deal with, personality wise. I haven't had that problem so far though. The guy I dealt with was actually pretty nice and helpful. Aside from their personalities, what is the problem with them? Low selection? Always open for a good alternative.

Selection isn't great but they cover most of the basics that I need. I can say that the prices aren't too bad if you compare them with online + shipping. I DO like that Heart's sells grain by the ounce and hops by the 1/4 ounce. I don't think the staff are up to date with their info so I don't look for advice there and suggest the same to you. I have had good and bad experiences on the customer service side but in general if I just go in with a list and get my stuff and go things are fine. Hearts does get points for supporting the local brew club (which I really suggest you connect with if you haven't.) Get your advice and help there and don't go to Heart's until you know what you want.

There isn't really room at Heart's to hang out and meet people or BS with the staff so it doesn't feel like most "hobby" shops. When I want to do those things I go to the store in Daytona - but I also live about the same distance from either so that's not out of my way. The staff in Daytona seem to be more wine-knowledgeable but the store is large and inviting and the folks are gregarious to a fault. Both places have their faults but they both have stock and I'm a spur-of-the-moment brewer. Between the 2 stores I find that I don't need to order online.

Welcome to the group!

Thanks Craig, I was hoping they had most of what I needed. I will have to check out what is in Daytona the next time I am out that way. I haven't joined the local club yet, but have met some members at Orlando Brewing a time or two.

Heart's is not as bad as most ppl here say it is and the selection is also pretty decent. The store in Daytona is not much better. Been there and I'm not planning to go back there soon.

Btw... welcome to HBT ;)

Back