Greetings from Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Z

Reaction score
I think it is customary to post an introduction here. I just kind of stumbled across the idea of making hard cider and decided I should ask some experts how it is done. I snagged some weird tasting apples I wanted to make into weird tasting applesauce. Then I read they were cider apples and thought... why not try making cider?

As a gardener, fruit forager, and jam maker I thought this might be a nice change of pace. I look forward to learning all that I can. Thanks for all the help I have already received and will receive in the future.

Welcome to the forum from Long Island NY. This is a hobby that will be a good fit for your interests, and many knowledgeable people are right here willing to share info.

Welcome. Don't rush. And remember these words:
RDWHAHB
Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

Things may go fine, or not. But ask here before doing something brash.

Now, I wouldn't go as far to say "experts". By that, I mean I don't know how many we have here that hold PhDs in chemistry and microbiology. BUT, what you WILL find here are fellow hobbiests, connoisseurs, experimentalists, and "beer snobs" (such as myself) that, combined, have about 1,000 years of experience, with wisdom gained by trial and error, failure and success. I have yet to have an issue that hasn't been experienced by someone else and that nobody had an answer for. WELCOME!

Thank you.

Has anyone else used fruit from the Pacific Northwest?

Until recently i didn't realize how agriculturally blessed we are here in Oregon. The Willamette valley is great for growing berries and veggies. Hood River has excellent tree fruit. Hermiston has the best watermelons on the planet. And we aren't far from California which has citrus and other warm weather crops.

I also u picked and foraged a bunch of fruit over the summer and froze it (mostly in puree form). Destined for jam and syrup. I was wondering what, if any, would be useful in cider or maybe even wine if I squeezed out the juice from the pulp.

I have: two kinds of blackberry, boysenbery, marionberry, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry (from my own bushes), Oregon grape, huckleberry, salal, apple (from my own tree, cultivar unknown), pear (bartlett), quince, concord grape, and cranberry. And some sour cherries and peaches that were canned (though not much of those).

I'm from CA, so I am quite familiar. I'm upset because I have to drive like 4 hours if I want anything from Deschutes Brewery. I am down to my last bottle of The Abyss 2017, and don't want to drink it until I can get some of the 2018 Reserve.

At least you guys have citrus. Can't grow citrus around here. Though this is considered the best cane berry growing climate in the country.

Back