Greetings from North Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N6GQ

Reaction score
Hey folks, this is a great forum and I'm glad to be here.

I've been away from the brewing scene for a few years. I was an avid all grain brewer a good number of years ago but then life happened - lost my mom to head/neck cancer, went through a divorce from a 21 years marriage, and got my own head/neck cancer diagnosis all about the same time. They say any one of those things is pretty major but to do them all at the same time was pretty rough. Oh, and I moved from CA to TX as well. So it was a rough time but I'm happy to say I'm recovering - its been 2 years since I finished cancer treatment. I bought myself a fun new sportscar to celebrate (2019 ZO6 Corvette, drove it from the dealer in NJ back to TX, that was FUN!), bought a few new houses in TX, have been doing more of the hobbies I like (knife collecting, sharpening, shooting, driving, cooking, astrophotography, ham radio, metal detecting, Scotch, Bourbon and Tequila), and I think its time to bring brewing back into my world.

So I went to the local brew supply store and bough myself an Anvil Foundry, Anvil Fermenter, and all the goodies to go with it (since I left all my original brewing supplies back at my old house in CA).

The project for this weekend is going to be brewing a hefe in the new Anvil, and working on a kegerator.

I'm going to be searching these forums for kegerator ideas but I had a Keezer back in CA, and I may do the same thing here. Its just that chest freezers are like hens teeth thanks to COVID. I may consider one of the ready to go kegerators, but am going to be researching that angle too. So if anyone has any thoughts on what's available in today's market for a kegerator (either DIY or done) for 2 cornies and a CO2 tank I'm all ears.

BTW, are corny kegs still the hot set up?

Thanks guys for being here!

Last edited:
Welcome back! Sounds like quite a journey and glad you made out alive the other end!

Cornys are still the rage!

Welcome back! Sounds like quite a journey and glad you made out alive the other end!

Cornys are still the rage!

Sweet, thanks. Yep, still breathing and every day is a blessing. For any men out there that are middle age, if you get a lump in your throat (swollen lymph nodes) that doesn't go away, get it checked! HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer is super common in middle aged men and becoming an epidemic. The treatment is hell but the prognosis is fairly good if you catch it and deal with it.

First of all, welcome back! Sounds like you've been through alot, I bet you're a helluva lot stronger today.

Glad to hear you bought the car. As a fellow car enthusiast here, that always the right decision. Drive it every chance you get and enjoy it. I still love the C7, even after the C8 was released. (Although I am partial to mid-engine cars, I've got a 91 NSX).

As far as the kegerator goes, I did a DIY thread for the one I built:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/write-up-diy-kegerator-whirlpool-wh43rs2e.659193/
And corny kegs are definitely still the rage!

@UncleD thank you - yes, I prefer the C7 over C8 myself, I figured I wanted to wait a year or two for the midengine bugs to be worked out, and wait for the ZO6 version. The C7Z has way more horsepower than most conditions will allow anyhow, its a handful at anything more than 1/3 throttle. The summer tires they put on the car just don't stick to save your life, so you have to be pretty careful - it can get out from under you really easy, at just about any speed. With respect, its a blast to drive though.

Your kegerator looks great. I think I'm looking to do at least 2 Corny kegs if not 4, and I'm thinking I'm going to go with a commercial version as my local brew supply store is going to make me a smokin deal on one as he gets one for his shop, so I'm thinking that way I can support my local small supply shop as well as get a decent kegerator without too much work (lately I don't have a ton of free time to DIY something, and I'm not all that great with my hands anyhow).

Enjoy your NSX - I dig those too but I sure don't see that many on the road!

@N6GQ awesome to hear you are going with 2 or 4 kegs, that's definitely the next step for me someday!

Happy brewing!

Back