Greetings from McKinleyville, CA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultryx

Reaction score
This site has an excellent wealth of knowledge and some (seemingly) very helpful and friendly members. We all just want to brew good beer and share that with friends and family!

I'm still very new to brewing. I was gifted a Northern Brewer $100 starter kit 3 years ago. I've brewed 2 extract kits with it and bottled everything up. Flash forward to today and I have improved so much, both in brewing practices, and knowledge. Mainly brewing for myself, family, and friends. I also am brewing each batch with the intention of it being ready for competition entry if I choose to do that. I actually have entered one competition and have a story to share from that, but we'll make that another thread for another day!

Just brewed (an APA) on my new setup for the first time yesterday. BIAB, Ss Brewtech 10G Brew Kettle, and a outdoor propane burner. Fermentation is coming along nicely. My expected OG was 1.056 and I came in at 1.057 - so I think that means my first BIAB session went well! The rains are supposed to stop at about noon today and I'm planning on brewing an IPA today as well. All brews will end up in my newly constructed (used) kegerator. Really excited to move away from bottling the majority of my stuff. I'll hang on to those for competitions, gifts, and aging things like stouts.

Cheers everyone! Looking forward to becoming more involved in this community!

Ultryx

Edit: Also hoping to get into the trading scene on here! I'll need to ship a few trades first to gain the rep, but I am a reliable shipper. I'd love to get my hands on some East Coast brews!

Last edited:
Welcome from the central valley. I like 6-rivers, at least the last time I was through. Maybe meet you for a brew next time I pass through.

Welcome to the Funny Farm! Was up your way last August in Ferndale. Stopped by Lost Coast for some awesome beer and food. Our last home was in Santa Cruz but in Austin now. Still visit family in SLO or Sonora area if you happen to be familiar.

As far as trading. Check out "Fellowship of the Drink" and "Fellowship of the Home Brew" threads. We just did the pick on the Home Brew one. They're fun but to participate one has to have some experience so getting to know people and starting small trades is the way to go at first.

East Coast dudes will hang at "What are you Drinking Now". Best Wishes and See you around

Lived in Laytonville/Willits for many years, Welcome!

Excellent! I've spent my fair share of summers and winters working down in the Laytonville area.

Welcome from the central valley. I like 6-rivers, at least the last time I was through. Maybe meet you for a brew next time I pass through.

Yeah let me know! Have you been to any of the other breweries in this area?

Welcome to the Funny Farm! Was up your way last August in Ferndale. Stopped by Lost Coast for some awesome beer and food. Our last home was in Santa Cruz but in Austin now. Still visit family in SLO or Sonora area if you happen to be familiar.

As far as trading. Check out "Fellowship of the Drink" and "Fellowship of the Home Brew" threads. We just did the pick on the Home Brew one. They're fun but to participate one has to have some experience so getting to know people and starting small trades is the way to go at first.

East Coast dudes will hang at "What are you Drinking Now". Best Wishes and See you around

Ferndale is a fun little visiting spot. Lost Coast is pretty popular up here and the food is tasty. I love Santa Cruz, but I hear Austin is pretty awesome too! I'm definitely familiar with those areas. I'm actually a transplant from SoCal so I know the state along the coast pretty well.

Yeah I've been reading some of the posts in the trading section, but I'll have to read a little more in-depth to hop on that "Fellowship of the Home Brew" train. Hopefully I can find someone who is interested in the offerings from here.

Yeah let me know! Have you been to any of the other breweries in this area?
Lost Coast.
I think I went to one in Arcata but don't recall the name. Possibly Mad River, but I looked at the website pics and doesn't look familiar. Could be the beet goggles though, no promises on accurate remembering.

Salinas here :)

Check the LOT thread trade. That's the fast pass for the Fellowship trades ;)

Thanks for the tip! I'm reading through it but it's going to be a while to reach the post count! Do my replies ever increase from being limited to 5 per day? I couldn't even respond to someone else until the 24 hours elapsed.

LOL, so making sure they didn't grow balls late? but joking aside, once again, Welcome!

Now you're bustin' my balls! Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I'm reading through it but it's going to be a while to reach the post count! Do my replies ever increase from being limited to 5 per day? I couldn't even respond to someone else until the 24 hours elapsed.

LOT trade rules are quite flexible nowadays. Post up there after WST grants, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm really about HB trading. Without overtime, retail trading went by the way side. Let me know when you have a few things to send.

Back