Greetings from Maryland, USA (A very happy first brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigen

Reaction score
Hello!

I want to thank this entire forum first and foremost, as I have referenced many threads for information during my first brew. Brew day and bottle day were both a breeze thanks to all the info available here whenever I ran to Google for help.

I'm an engineering student in Uni, bit on the younger side but old enough to drink nonetheless. I picked up John Palmer's "How to Brew" one day and found the entire theory behind the craft to be fascinating, especially upon hitting the chapters on All Grain brewing. (I've since picked up "Brewing Classic Styles" as well.)

I looked around and picked up a Northern Brewer kit (Block Party Amber Ale), though looking back I could have probably pieced together friendlier equipment from a LHBS. The instructions as well were a bit vague... But I went ahead and recalculated everything using what I learned in my research.

Everything went spot on boiling the wort, and all SG's hit within a point of my mark. I even threw some late Cascade in to add a bit more hop character. Swapped the 5g pack of ale yeast for Safale US-05. It's all bottled by now, and I couldn't help but crack one open a few days into conditioning just to taste "green beer". I filtered what sediment I could on pour and I couldn't help but smile that I had made freakin' beer :)

Grassy and citrusy as it was up front, the after taste was like a Tofifay candy (Caramel, hazelnut, toffee). Lacey foam on the glass and everything. I look forward to enjoying it in a few weeks time. I am a very happy person and I will be continuing this hobby for sure!

I hope to learn much and someday contribute here on your friendly forums!

Nothing like an engineer to really delve into the science of brewing. You'll feel right at home, as there are plenty of engineers and science people on these forums. (I used to be an engineer, as well.) Plus, we have a nice section on brew science here.

Welcome to HBT!

Latest posts

Back