Greetings from Eastern Tennessee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNBrewing

Reaction score
I'm a complete rookie to Home Brewing and thought it wise to gather information from the experts before purchasing any equipment or starting to brew anything. Please shower me with advise on what to purchase and from where.

Welcome to the most rewarding hobby there is. There are many vendors
to chose from. I would start with a beginners kit and a simple recipe to
get your feet wet. You'll also need a brew kettle ( stock pot ) of good
size. I bought a seafood 32qt from walmart that works great for about
25 bucks. check out Morebeer.com and northern brewer.com for some
recipe kits. Others will chime in iam sure for with some more info thats
what makes this site great everybody will help just ask. Cheers.

Welcome!

I was in Knoxville visiting friends a few months ago and stopped by Fermentation Station, a local homebrew shop. It seemed like a pretty nice place.

I'm a rookie here, too from Knoxpatch.

I'm going to get my rig within the next week or two, and after a pretty extensive web search, I think the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit is the one I'm going with. It's available at Ferment Station on Kingston Pike, $109. That kit seems to be the best "bang for the buck", and the fact that it's local is just a bonus - no S&H.

I'm going to order the Bayou Classic 30-quart turkey fryer set-up from The Web Restaurant Store, ~$55 bucks for the pot, regulator and burner. So I'm thinking that I can get my first batch started for under $200. Given the cost of the beer I like to drink, three 5 gal. batches and the stuff has paid for itself. That'll make the Boss happy...

I'm also going to try and meet up with some of the folks from the Tennessee Valley Homebrewers Tennessee Valley Homebrewer's club. I know a couple of them are members here.

Welcome to fellow East Tennesseans!

I lived in Knox Vegas for 15 years, before moving back "home" to the Tri-Cities. The folks at Fermentation Station are great to deal with. I've never had a problem with them or anything I've bought from them.

I'm a rookie here, too from Knoxpatch.

I'm going to get my rig within the next week or two, and after a pretty extensive web search, I think the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit is the one I'm going with. It's available at Ferment Station on Kingston Pike, $109. That kit seems to be the best "bang for the buck", and the fact that it's local is just a bonus - no S&H.

I'm going to order the Bayou Classic 30-quart turkey fryer set-up from The Web Restaurant Store, ~$55 bucks for the pot, regulator and burner. So I'm thinking that I can get my first batch started for under $200. Given the cost of the beer I like to drink, three 5 gal. batches and the stuff has paid for itself. That'll make the Boss happy...

I'm also going to try and meet up with some of the folks from the Tennessee Valley Homebrewers Tennessee Valley Homebrewer's club. I know a couple of them are members here.

We just missed the August meeting.

I've heard that aluminum is not good for taste so you may wanna get a Stainless Steel pot. I have the same Bayou Classic burner and various pots but I'm gonna look for a SS pot.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the advise. FermentStation is open from noon to 7 Tuesday thru Friday, 10 to 5 on Saturday. I hope to visit tomorrow or this week.

Are there any other HomeBrew meetings/gatherings/hangouts that are coming up?

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but welcome. If you are in the south knox area there is another shop called allen's biermaking on martin mill pike. I believe he is open everyday except wed.

I've heard that aluminum is not good for taste so you may wanna get a Stainless Steel pot. I have the same Bayou Classic burner and various pots but I'm gonna look for a SS pot.

Aluminum is fine. It's cheaper, conducts heat better than SS and there are no taste problems if you cure the pot before use and don't scrub it with abrasives.

I have an aluminum pot and SS pot and use them both. The aluminum pot has been used for 2.5 years and there's never been a flavor issue from it.

To cure an aluminum pot; clean it really well, fill it with water and bring it to a boil. Dump the water, rinse it out and wipe it down. Some folks then put the pot in the oven and bake for a while.

Of course, some brewers say curing is a bunch of hooey and they just clean the pot before using it.

Welcome to TN brewing! I live in Middle TN, but my job takes me all over the state. Maybe sometime when I am in Knoxville overnight I will check in and maybe we can meet up at Smokey Mt Brewery. I haven't been to that place, but I have been wanted to stop everytime I drive through there! Again Welcome!

Thanks for all of the information el gato & chucke, I'll have to check out Allen's. I do plan to try the aluminum as I have one already. I'm gonna have to wait a little while before I attempt my first batch, in between jobs and going back to school.

I've seen Smokey Mt. Brewery but haven't been either. I have been to Downtown Grill an Brewery. I tried the sampler but nothing really blew my skirt up like say Highland's Oatmeal Porter does. Let me know when you are going to be passing thru, I'd love to check it out.

Back