Greenlee 730BB KNOCK OUTS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhahadave

Reaction score
I am building the electric brewery by Kal , i now have all the parts to build this system. What i am in need of is all the Greenlee knockouts . Someone out there must of used them to build the electric brewery. I would like to barrow, rent or buy them if you no longer have use of them.

Disregard this post, I just read yours again. I see you need all of them.
What size?
If you need larger than 1/2" you will need two of them.
1/2" for the pilot hole and 3/4", 1" ect. K.O. for which ever hole you need.
The 1/2" dies use a 3/8" draw stud and the larger dies use a 3/4" draw stud.
22mm push buttons require the 1/2" K.O. and 30mm push buttons require a 1 7/32" K.O.
Or... you can go with a step drill bit http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...tep-Drill-Bit-59009SEN/100662408#.UjBvST-WHZY
Steve

vindee said:
Disregard this post, I just read yours again. I see you need all of them.
What size?
If you need larger than 1/2" you will need two of them.
1/2" for the pilot hole and 3/4", 1" ect. K.O. for which ever hole you need.
The 1/2" dies use a 3/8" draw stud and the larger dies use a 3/4" draw stud.
22mm push buttons require the 1/2" K.O. and 30mm push buttons require a 1 7/32" K.O.
Or... you can go with a step drill bit http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-1-4-in-to-1-3-8-in-Step-Drill-Bit-59009SEN/100662408#.UjBvST-WHZY
Steve

I need 1/2, 9/16, 13/16 and 1 1/4
I do not want to use a step drill on the Blichmann boilermaker kettles because of the curved surface.

I do not want to use a step drill on the Blichmann boilermaker kettles because of the curved surface.

I would think that drilling a pilot hole and then a step bit might be better than the K.O.'s
The Ko's will want to flatten the pot as the cutter is pulling through the die. Not to say the pot won't return to it's original shape, but if it were me, having used both methods, I would go with the step bit.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Also, the sizes of knock outs are for standard pipe sizes, 1/2," 3/4," 1", 1 1/4" and so on.

Ok i will give the step drill a try and see how that works. I do have to say that i am afraid to screw up the kettles.

Ok i will give the step drill a try and see how that works. I do have to say that i am afraid to screw up the kettles.

I think you'll be happy with the results.
Don't force the bit through the cut, and keep the bit lubed with some vegetable oil or some other lubricant, it will make a big difference.

All holes were cut with HF speed bit or HF hole cutting saw kit:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/70s-bling-my-ebuild-431188/

If you don't own a drill press, I would very highly recommend you do before drilling anything. Just set the belt to the slowest RPM, use plenty of cutting oil (not WD40) and let the bit do the cutting, if you push too hard you can slightly dent in the metal around the hole. For the kettles I would either drill a pilot hole or use a punch to tap a start point into the metal that the HS bit can set into.

I would not recommend HF for regular drill bits, they bend, break, and leave a nasty burr on the backside. Even a set of Black and Decker nitride bits is a dramatic improvement. For doing the cutouts with a jigsaw I would use a good bi-metal bit like Bosche.

I am building the electric brewery by Kal , i now have all the parts to build this system. What i am in need of is all the Greenlee knockouts . Someone out there must of used them to build the electric brewery. I would like to barrow, rent or buy them if you no longer have use of them.

I have 2 of the 1.5 thats the only size. harbor freight if the price is right and you only plan on useing them a few times.

Keep in mind that when your drilling through thin metal like your kettle, a drill bit is not going to leave you with a perfectly round hole.
Maybe thats not a concern here.

Back